New Golden Retriever Puppy, (puppy food recommendations)

HuntFish4life

Zeke is 10 weeks old and he came with Taste of Wild puppy food. My old dog ate Purina One Lamb and Rice and we never had any issues. I understand I need to choose quality food and have no issues with that but the taste of Wild is some expensive food. Does anyone use the Purina One Puppy food, or have a cost friendly quality puppy food.

family dog and fishing partner.

thanks

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]Purina Pro Plan Savor Puppy Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food is what I feed. [/h]Chewy.com

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i switched from purina one to diamond naturals with very good results

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you got a 10 week old puppy and started a thread about this puppy but didn't put any puppy pictures up? WTF man?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am sure you will get lots of responses.. We happen to use Native 1 and switch to Native 2 during hunting season. I believe Native 3 is for puppies. Now that that question has been answered, what are your thoughts on tail docking? :cool:

Last edited:

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a Golden retriever that had chronic ear infections. I found in my GSP and Golden that grain free food makes a huge diffence. Ive been using Nulo its grain free and high protien. Its expensive but worth it in my opinion. My Golden had since passed but when we made the switch the ear infections went away. Im pretty sure its helped with shedding as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I should probably give credit It was information I got on this site that convinced me to swich food.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use purina pro plan sport 26/16 All ages food. No complaints, seems to be mid range in price. If you have amazon prime you can put it on auto ship and get a discount as well. We had started on on the sport 30/20 but she shit like crazy. Once we switch to the lower protein variety she seems to be back to normal. FWIW my dog is 1/2 GSP, 1/2 Irish Setter.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a GSP that is a finicky eater. I'd recommend Purina Pro Plan Savor Chicken.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pretty confident that the whole "wheat gluten" allergy is horseshit for 90% of people, but then My dog stopped eating scraps with flour. The kids where slip her bread or pizza crust or noodles and she wouldn't eat them. She was also throwing up occasionally and her coat sucked. Anyway, we switched to some expensive seafood-based gluten free stuff and it worked great. However, now she has a hard time keeping on weight. Now I do the following and it's been great:

1. Throw ~1/2 cup of brown minute rice in her bowl.
2. Throw a couple heaping spoons of peanut butter in her bowl.
3. Add boiling water to bowl and mix into a nice slurry. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
4. Add 1 cup expensive seafood dog food.
5. Giggle as dog loses her $&@%# mind when she sees the bowl.

HuntFish4life

wouldn't look natural to dock a Golden I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
I use blue buffalo wilderness large breed. I have a chesapeake that is a year old breeder said don't use puppy food lots of stuff they don't need in it. Been using it for a lot of years and the improvement in my 13 year old black labs energy was amazing.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm.40+ years with goldens,for a healthy coat i;ve had great success with Natual Source,lamb-n-rice,gives the coat a nice shine and does'nt break the bank,.just wein your pup off the spendy stuff over a few days for her to take,mix 50/50 old and new,no such thing as a finichy eater unless she's/he's been spoiled with table food.

Duce,healthy as a horse,no dry skin or ear issues,a little maintainence goes a long way.

163.jpg

HuntFish4life

Hmmm.40+ years with goldens,for a healthy coat i;ve had great success with Natual Source,lamb-n-rice,gives the coat a nice shine and does'nt break the bank,.just wein your pup off the spendy stuff over a few days for her to take,mix 50/50 old and new,no such thing as a finichy eater unless she's/he's been spoiled with table food.

Duce,healthy as a horse,no dry skin or ear issues,a little maintainence goes a long way.

IMG_20171011_161952102.jpg

Thank you I think we will continue with taste of the wild and switch him when after this next bag we have only had him a 10 day now, so I think keeping him to what he is a custom to might be beneficial than will look into the Natural source or Purina Pro Plan for the next phase. Great looking Golden by the way.

I can't seem to get a picture posted???? Vollmer Help!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunt,also with goldens try to brush his fur out daily in the spring as they loose winter coat(puppy coat now) and in the fall when they loose they're fine summer coat,its healthy for them and keeps the hair balls at bay in the house.

Don't know his name but by the looks on his face I suspect he thinks his name is "NO" for a couple months anyway...;)

Just remember when you change food brands to cycle in the new brand in small doses so his body can take w/o issues for a few days before you go 100%.

My 1st golden was brought up on purina,lived 15+ years,his last hunt was@ 13yrs(pheasants in small willow patches) today look at the ingredients,make sure nothing comes from china!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39