New home ideas

Fishhard

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm new to building a home. Looking for suggestions for a good home blueprint designer in the Bismarck/Mandan area. Wife and me have a idea of what we want, just need to get it on paper. Also, any suggestions of I would do this, don't do that, or tips would be appreciated!!! Any ideas or suggestions welcomed. Thanks again!

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever they initially put in the garage for lights and outlets, double it. I'd put a minimum of 2 outlets in the ceiling w/self retracting extension cords coming down. Put the outlets @ 54"+, keeps them out of the way of any 4' tall objects set up against the wall.

Fishhard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picking contractors ourself. We have a couple local builders picked out, just need to get some blueprints done to get estimates for starters.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talk to inline designs. Josh at Prestige homes draws plans too. Front street millwork will draw plans too I believe. If you're looking for a drywall and paint contractor let me know!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm new to building a home. Looking for suggestions for a good home blueprint designer in the Bismarck/Mandan area. Wife and me have a idea of what we want, just need to get it on paper. Also, any suggestions of I would do this, don't do that, or tips would be appreciated!!! Any ideas or suggestions welcomed. Thanks again!

Wow, where to start.

Couple of ideas on layout. One single story home we owned was built in a "U" shape. The front entry, kitchen and eating area was on the bottom of the U. One wing of the U was the master bedroom area and the other wing was two secondary bedrooms and baths. If you can have a bath for each bedroom that would be the best but you need a hall bath for guests. Next would be a Jack and Jill bedroom/bath arrangement with a fourth bedroom and a hall bath.

Two story homes would have the master at the entry level and secondary bedrooms either up or down. We added a 1,550 sf second floor when we remodeled our home and put a separate furnace and A/C unit in for the second floor. We don't have the second floor too hot in order to keep the downstairs warm.

If you can plan your garage work area/cabinets I would put outlets at the same level as the kitchen so they will be between the upper and lower cabinets. Put outside outlets by the front door, on the patio, by the garage door and any other place where you might store something and need power to work on it. Put plenty of outside lights to light up space where you need it. I'd put a switched outlet under the eve of both the first and second floor roof to plug in Christmas Lights so you can switch them on and off rather than go out and plug and un-plug them. This carries over to the living room. Determine where your Christmas Tree will be and put in a switched outlet to plug the tree into. Then you don't have to plug and un-plug it every night. The rest of the year just leave the switched outlet on so you can vacuum when the missus tells you to!

Kitchen - the second most important room in the house. Granite countertops if you can afford them. They are impervious and will never need replacement until you need a change of scenery. Fluorescent lighting under the upper cabinets. They make good night lights and supply good lighting for work areas. When we remodeled our kitchen I had the electrician put a receptacle on every stud in the kitchen between the uppers and lowers. Had him wire them with 12/3 romex on 20 amp breakers with several circuits. I never have tripped breakers. Roll out lower cabinet shelves. Pantry with roll out shelves. Cast iron/porcelain sinks. Three quarter horsepower garbage disposer that can chew up baby back rib bones, chicken bones and crab shells. (She won't let me do that if she is around.) Instant hot water for soups and instant coffee/tea. Trash compactor - a blessing for us. With recycling I only have one garbage bag or less in a week. Wire pulls on cabinet doors and drawers to save the finish over the long haul. Gas cooktop with gas grill alongside and a 48 inch hood above.

Hardwood floors or tile in common areas. Where ever you put carpet, try to walk the area as well as you can to find any floor squeaks before the carpet installation and nail/screw them quiet.

All sliding closet doors mirrored, especially bedroom and entry coat closet. You need to look your best when you go out.

I have a wood stove insert in my brick fireplace and it heats the house well. If you are inclined to get firewood a free standing stove would be good. Plan a place to store firewood that is accessible. Get the most energy efficient windows that are reasonable for your area.

Prolaly think of some more things later that I can add. Things are way too different in Bismarck than in CA.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Consider putting an "I" beam across the basement to keep the house from shifting. Our rambler style home was built in 71, has an I beam with supports running the length of the structure, secured on each side in the foundation, and the house is still solid and completely square. The rest is all up to you. Building your own castle is something I've always wanted to do, but I fear I will never get the chance. Enjoy the experience and do ALOT of thinking drinking before you break ground. Have Fun!!!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Consider putting an "I" beam across the basement to keep the house from shifting. Our rambler style home was built in 71, has an I beam with supports running the length of the structure, secured on each side in the foundation, and the house is still solid and completely square. The rest is all up to you. Building your own castle is something I've always wanted to do, but I fear I will never get the chance. Enjoy the experience and do ALOT of thinking drinking before you break ground. Have Fun!!!

I didn't build my own, but I did a complete first floor remodel and added a second floor over a 6 month period in '93/'94 and believe me one is enough.

Wallykiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever sized garage you believe is big enough, it will be too small you need to make it bigger. Also install a 100 amp sub panel in said garage. Outlets installed in the soffit for Christmas lights will appease mama. Don't forget to install lights directly above your grill location.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
main entrance and garage facing south.

A definite plus for ND!

Fishhard:

I put in 36" high vanities in the master bath. Normally they are 32". You won't have to bend over so far to rinse after brushing plus you have 4" more storage in the drawers/cabinets. Tell the kiddies to stay/use their own lower bath top while you are playing slap and tickle with their Mom.

Marble is nice in the bath areas, but it is not hard like granite. You can stain/mar marble with aftershave and cologne. Use a cloth under these if you set them on the marble.

Another thing I didn't touch on in my post above is low voltage. I have an alarm system and wired tv. Get some good advice on these systems. Sorry I don't have any knowledge for you.

If you are thinking about a soaking/jacuzzi tub you need a 50 gallon water at a minimum and if you have air jets, I would have an inline water heater. It takes it's own circuit. I passed and after a short time the 70°+ air will cool the bath water down. Cuts your slap and tickle time down!

Another thing is the lower cabinet drawer fronts in front of a sink or cooktop. Typically they are just attached to the face frame, but you can get them as a tilt out attached at the bottom and they will tilt out to 45° and have a galvy or ss liner and you can put stove or sink stuff in them. We have two.

Last edited by a moderator:

tm22

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll second Josh at Prestige Homes. Top notch guy that does top notch work.

Fishhard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never seen that thread before. Thanks for posting sluggo.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are old and body is going south don't forget about putting in a raised dishwasher. Also a trash can in one of your lower kitchen pullout cabinets. 36'' bath vanities is the cats ass! Have them in our house now and wouldn't go to 32'' again ever. But with small kids you might want 32''. Soft close drawers and doors and super nice. Pantry in kitchen is a must.
Wire for TV and alarms system even if you don't install right away. Not that expensive. Also agree on double the outlets in garage and kitchen and don't forget to put some in the island/snack bar if you have one. Double the lights in garage and have 2 to a switch so you don't have to have them all on at once if you have a big garage. Don't forget a couple of over head fans in garage, bedrooms, and living room.
Go to new open houses to get more ideas.

Fishhard

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know there are a bunch of variables in cost per square foot, but wondering from the people that have built or have experience building, what it roughly costs per square foot in today's world.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, I have a motion sensing light INSIDE my garage. Works great, no matter which door is entered, the light comes on and provides enough light to move around, never have to fumble for the switch. Then it goes off 30 seconds after no motion. Lights aren't left on all day and night that way either.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I am almost finished with mine, and if I could do it all over again I would build the entire house one level. 3000 sq ft. All built out of the foam blocks with concrete in them. The older I get, the less I like steps, but I still want the protection of a basement. Plus, the energy cost savings would pay for the build costs in quick order.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 182
  • This month: 159
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57