new rig question

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
i got a new rig lined up that i plan on purchasing. my only issue is that the kicker is a tiller, wanted a remote but i guess i can live with it. so i started looking at other options and discovered the trollmaster pro3 and panthermarine electro steer. guess im just wondering if anyone on here runs this combination and how they like it? any problems or issues with it?

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a tiller and prefer that to remote. I have a buddy with a troll maser and he loves it. Both of us rarely use the kicker to turn and use the Terrova instead. This improves boat control as you're being pulled and pushed. The trolling motor also turn faster so following tight contour lines is fairly easy. Also, when you're fighting a fish, you can turn on autopilot and worry about the fish and not driving the boat. You can also hook a removable steering bar from your kicker to the main motor.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
No need for the Panther electro-steer.

Set the kicker straight forward and use your Terrova/Ulterra for steering. I have had multiple boats with remote throttle/steering and my latest order is a tiller with Trollmaster throttle control.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a tiller and prefer that to remote. I have a buddy with a troll maser and he loves it. Both of us rarely use the kicker to turn and use the Terrova instead. This improves boat control as you're being pulled and pushed. The trolling motor also turn faster so following tight contour lines is fairly easy. Also, when you're fighting a fish, you can turn on autopilot and worry about the fish and not driving the boat. You can also hook a removable steering bar from your kicker to the main motor.

I do this exact thing and love it! You can also really fine tune your speed with the addition of the trolling motor.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
Google "ted takasaki 4 wheel drive trolling" and a great article comes up that should give you a good idea on how well it works.

I'd post the link but I'm still "rookie" status on this site...

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a tiller kicker on my last boat and really liked it. After having one I wouldn't go back to forward controls again. It will be your personal preference, but I wouldn't let the tiller kicker be a deal breaker. Try and see how you like it, you can always add stuff later to fit your style.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
steering with the kicker is a piss poor way to do it. use the bow mount like so many mentioned already.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
As mentioned steer with your trolling motor. I bought the trollmaster pro3 plus that has the remote throttle control (basically like the i pilot for trolling motor). I put it on this fall and had a couple chances to use it. It is awesome.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, I agree to steer mainly with the front trolling motor. Although I never used my troll master with the tiller kicker. Always found it easy enough to control the speed with the bow mount and throttle on the kicker. Always sat in the back by the kicker.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33