No paddlefish cleaning offered this year

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
So with this in mind, how many paddle fisherman gonna sit out this year??? Cuz now, you on your own with your catch fellas.
I get a feeling we not going to see as many people this year...AND.....part of Hwy 2 down here by our shop is going to be CLOSED and you'll be making a detour to get west...I'll post info on it later in a different thread....

LiebelsGuide

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely sucks, you can bet the Wardens will be on high alert for Wanton Waste if they don't find someone to clean the fish. Hopefully they find something.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
This blows. Half the fun is going down to the cleaning station shitfaced and bullshitting with everyone. Damnit

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What really upsets me the most is that North Star Caviar says this 2 week before the season opens.....REALLY!!!! This will definitely put a damper on things. I would think the NDGF will have to have some sort of check/weigh in station to track the # of fish caught. At least offer the trailer to let the fisherman use to self clean their fish. The expense would be is to pay for disposal of the fish. Heck, I can bring my own bag(s) and tie it up and attached the dorsal fin to it.

I would agree that this may definitely put a damper on the # of people that will come fishing, so I hope some how they get the word out to everyone. Just need to think about this on how it might alter plans and equipment to bring with.

Main thing to remember, cut off all of the brown outside meat. It is the very middle portion of the fish that is edible. If you get any of the brown stuff....you will know it, and you will likely never eat fish again.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ain't that the truth, that pink/brown meat is just god-awful. The smallest piece of it on a filet put in the freezer can ruin the whole filet.

Paddles aren't that tough to clean, a person can always gut, remove the notochord, and then simply cut the fish into steaks like a halibut. Once you do that, it is really easy to trim off all of the offending red meat.

It takes a little more practice to filet them.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Heck I would even pay North Star Caviar for this year to clean and freeze my meat, if the market is really that bad and to help keep them in operation or cover some of their cost. During the shortened seasons where catch and keep is only 4 days, they can't accrue that much expense. But when the season last 3 weeks, and to pay the help.....

I would propose a fee schedule that would depend on the size? Of course I may be way off base here, but just quickly thinking about it, this is what I would be willing to pay: CASH OR CREDIT CARD ONLY

40# or less =$10
41#-69# =$15
70#+ =$20

Last edited:

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heck I would even pay North Star Caviar for this year to clean and freeze my meat, if the market is really that bad and to help keep them in operation or cover some of their cost. During the shortened seasons where catch and keep is only 4 days, they can't accrue that much expense. But when the season last 3 weeks, and to pay the help.....

I would propose a fee schedule that would depend on the size? Of course I may be way off base here, but just quickly thinking about it, this is what I would be willing to pay: CASH OR CREDIT CARD ONLY

40# or less =$10
41#-69# =$15
70#+ =$20

I agree, I would be willing to pay to have my fish cleaned,, knowing that a portion of the money would in turn be used for research/grants

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ouch! I think cleaning them is a pretty rare art these days. Not horribly difficult but I don't think I'm going to start doing it again.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also curious how many will show up without a clue?

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like a good business opportunity for someone who knows how to clean them.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
is there any kind of fish cleaning station a person could clean there own fish at close by?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Do you use a chain saw or a saws-all, to clean them things?

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would guarantee someone will be down there cleaning fish. Someone could make some good money doing this.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Won't even slow me down. Have knife and going to travel. North Star can kiss my South Star.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good! I might be able to go and keep one without having to put up with a pile of alcoholic macho douche bags that think they're gonna battle a thousand pound mud marlin. This year there might actually be half the affliction and american fighter shirts on the bank.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 236
  • This month: 205
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 66