• Did you get a deer ?

Votes: 63 49.2%
  • Did you get a deer license ?

Votes: 60 46.9%
  • Did you get 2 deer licenses ?

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Did you get 3 or more deer licenses ?

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Did you see less deer this year than usual ?

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Did you get 2 deer ?

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Did you get 3 or more deer ?

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Do you wish you would have gotten a deer license ?

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Does this poll anger you ?

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • Was this poll helpfull ?

Votes: 17 13.3%

• Total voters

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I I just started reading the game warden thread which party hunting was already been discussed so i didn't see that my bad.
Also does everyone take the time to fill out their survey to find out who did or didn't get thier tag filled. Does the NDGF have this survey online now.

- - - Updated - - -

Kurtr can non landowners buy gratis tags from land owners to only shoot a deer on that land? I guy I worked with said this was true in south dakota.

No. You can get the special buck tag that is good for only private land. You need to pick east or west river. They wanted to try that and it got shot down.

- - - Updated - - -

Special buck tag is like 150 or so dollars and res and nr can get them till they are sold out

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So does gst help young hunters out, on the other hand does KDM get a free pass for being defensive when speaking to other members who bring up a topic that has been talked about extensivly by other members. How come it's ok for one and not for another? I bet it has to do with double standards when looking at the two on identical playing fields.
I have no issue with KDM or gst colorful posts both are equally important to the NDA community.

- - - Updated - - -

No. You can get the special buck tag that is good for only private land. You need to pick east or west river. They wanted to try that and it got shot down.

- - - Updated - - -

Special buck tag is like 150 or so dollars and res and nr can get them till they are sold out
Ok do you fill out your survey each year you get a tag? What about other members, we should have a poll on who does and doesnt

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Ok do you fill out your survey each year you get a tag? What about other members, we should have a poll on who does and doesnt

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes i do. It comes on my email so it is very easy. I make sure my wife and kid does theres also.

I also do Idaho and if you do it by december first you are entered in a chance for a supper tag. Which is all the draw species state wide for the whole season

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM, Are you confused? Clueless? Maybe a little slow? Everyone DOES NOT have the same chance of getting a tag. About half of the buck tags in this state are issued as gratis tags. Of course you don't see a problem with that. You clearly benefit from it. So be damned to anyone who might suffer from the system. Am I right? For the record; I do bow hunt. I don't apply for a muley tag. I apply in central ND. I do hunt out of state, mostly just to have a chance in the fall. I'm sorry, but it's a damn dirty shame to have to go 5 plus years to draw a tag having to go hunt out of state. When someone like you gets on for free every year while calling frustrated, tax paying fellow hunters "whiners". So I guess to some it up... Yes there is a problem with the ND deer lottery, and you sir are part of it.

HaHaHaha!!! Pretty good whine for your 3rd post. Of course it's MY fault when you know absolutely nothing about me. THANK YOU for illustrating my point.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM, Are you confused? Clueless? Maybe a little slow? Everyone DOES NOT have the same chance of getting a tag. About half of the buck tags in this state are issued as gratis tags. Of course you don't see a problem with that. You clearly benefit from it. So be damned to anyone who might suffer from the system. Am I right? For the record; I do bow hunt. I don't apply for a muley tag. I apply in central ND. I do hunt out of state, mostly just to have a chance in the fall. I'm sorry, but it's a damn dirty shame to have to go 5 plus years to draw a tag having to go hunt out of state. When someone like you gets on for free every year while calling frustrated, tax paying fellow hunters "whiners". So I guess to some it up... Yes there is a problem with the ND deer lottery, and you sir are part of it.

Wow you are really wrong and showing a perfect example of what KDM is talking about. You are a tax payer so You deserve what you want. I bet KDM is doing more to provide animal habitats and wildlife growth along with hunting opportunities for others including youth that 75% of the people on this site and yet he does not qualify for a Gratis tag.
You want to try going after the greedy filthy landowner gratis tag recipients try coming after me bubba. Look at my pics and you will see my tags on my deer

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Moose population success ? They killed them off with cow tags in M6 and m8 . Hardly a moose walking in eastern nd

That's interesting...eastern ND is a pretty big chunk of area. Where I walk, I see probably a half dozen every fall. I even kicked up a young bull within a half hour of Fargo late last December while walking for pheasants. If anything, it seems like moose out here are becoming more of a norm than exception.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow you are really wrong and showing a perfect example of what KDM is talking about. You are a tax payer so You deserve what you want. I bet KDM is doing more to provide animal habitats and wildlife growth along with hunting opportunities for others including youth that 75% of the people on this site and yet he does not qualify for a Gratis tag.
You want to try going after the greedy filthy landowner gratis tag recipients try coming after me bubba. Look at my pics and you will see my tags on my deer

I'm also a greedy filthy landowner gratis tag holder.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
so, V was having a slow week and needed someone to ramp up hits and paid someone to start this topic again? i get it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate what deer hunting has become.

east river here i am starting to feel the same way. I would rather go out west river to big public maybe see less deer but see lots less people and just have fun

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate what deer hunting has become.

I'm sorry you feel that way DM. I truly am. However, deer hunting isn't the problem IMO. Deer hunting is the same as it's always been. The anticipatory nervousness before a hunt is the same. The thrill of seeing deer is the same. The smiles from successful hunters are the same as are most aspects of deer hunting. I believe it's the PEOPLE who have changed. The "entitlement crowd", the "as long as I get mine" mentality, the "instant gratification" misconceptions, and the "everything must be fair and equal regardless of decisions or effort" delusions are the changes. Maybe these have always been there, but with today's technology they appear to be much more apparent. At any rate, I love to deer hunt and no amount of negativity or adversity will keep me from participating in, or sharing the sport of deer hunting. I think it's still worth it.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
These topics are just pure trolling. Getting more like fishing buddy every day.

How many on here shot more than 1o deer a year? 20?

Posts like this are the ones that make it more like FBO. If you don't want to participate, than DON"T CLICK and DON'T TYPE! Clearly there are enough people out there unhappy with the system. How many times do you go through life not liking something and just sit back and say "It is, what it is"? Internet threads probably have very little impact on changing things, but it certainly does not hurt to try to build a better mouse trap.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

Since you are sharing, could you also share exactly what you have done outside of the 17 1/2 days of deer rifle season to ensure the viability of this states wildlife besides the pennies of your license fees?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND deer hunters from 60 years ago would marvel at how good we have it. Deer hunters from 100 years ago would ask you what a whitetail looks like.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sorry you feel that way DM. I truly am. However, deer hunting isn't the problem IMO. Deer hunting is the same as it's always been. The anticipatory nervousness before a hunt is the same. The thrill of seeing deer is the same. The smiles from successful hunters are the same as are most aspects of deer hunting. I believe it's the PEOPLE who have changed. The "entitlement crowd", the "as long as I get mine" mentality, the "instant gratification" misconceptions, and the "everything must be fair and equal regardless of decisions or effort" delusions are the changes. Maybe these have always been there, but with today's technology they appear to be much more apparent. At any rate, I love to deer hunt and no amount of negativity or adversity will keep me from participating in, or sharing the sport of deer hunting. I think it's still worth it.

My family didn't draw any tags this year, but it didn't stop me from helping out my friends and getting a little exercise. I even wacked a coyote on a pretty impressive shot. We all had a great time and enjoyed the outdoors.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

Looks like you hit on both ends of this issue

Last edited:

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
So does gst help young hunters out,

I have a few friends that are great to help kids get access and find hunting opportunities and success. I would guess a few on here do as well and no one knows it.

Even with my gratis tag I haven;t shot a buck in 4 years. I get much more satisfaction out of helping kids (my own and others) experience the part of hunting KDM shared.

Technologies are changing everything including hunting. the internet forums like this where people make assumptions and accusations about people they have never met, cell phones where people text instead of talking ( I actually got a text asking if someone could hunt some land we had this year) trail cams, ect.....

With kids you move away from all that and the simple can;t hardly breath excitement over shooting a fork or a doe is a reminder of what hunting to me should be.

Don;t take this wrong, my young boys have grrown into young men that put a great deal of effort into shooting good bucks becasue in our situation simply shooting a deer/buck is something that would take a total of 15 minutes opening day.

But I hope(and I beleive I have) instilled in them that have to breath to settle your nerves, oh shit there he is, I can;t beleive that just happened elation to the sadness of sitting looking at a magnificent animal whos life you just ended repsect for and desire to improve the lands and wildlife that give me and now them so much satisfaction and enjoyment as well as a pretty good life.

I am now sharing that with my young daughter and looking forward every bit as much as I did with my sons.

there are a LOT of little things in hunting (like seeing the smile on your uncles face one last time the year before he passes when he is laughing about and razzing you for missing his deer at 80 yards)that people can miss if they want any more.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a few friends that are great to help kids get access and find hunting opportunities and success. I would guess a few on here do as well and no one knows it.

Even with my gratis tag I haven;t shot a buck in 4 years. I get much more satisfaction out of helping kids (my own and others) experience the part of hunting KDM shared.

Technologies are changing everything including hunting. the internet forums like this where people make assumptions and accusations about people they have never met, cell phones where people text instead of talking ( I actually got a text asking if someone could hunt some land we had this year) trail cams, ect.....

With kids you move away from all that and the simple can;t hardly breath excitement over shooting a fork or a doe is a reminder of what hunting to me should be.

Don;t take this wrong, my young boys have grrown into young men that put a great deal of effort into shooting good bucks becasue in our situation simply shooting a deer/buck is something that would take a total of 15 minutes opening day.

But I hope(and I beleive I have) instilled in them that have to breath to settle your nerves, oh shit there he is, I can;t beleive that just happened elation to the sadness of sitting looking at a magnificent animal whos life you just ended repsect for and desire to improve the lands and wildlife that give me and now them so much satisfaction and enjoyment as well as a pretty good life.

I am now sharing that with my young daughter and looking forward every bit as much as I did with my sons.

there are a LOT of little things in hunting (like seeing the smile on your uncles face one last time the year before he passes when he is laughing about and razzing you for missing his deer at 80 yards)that people can miss if they want any more.
A very good from the heart post.:;:thumbsup

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

I don't mind asking for permission to hunt. I don't even mind getting told no. The anticipation of opening day is gone and now feels like a chore instead of a celebration. I seen the change happening in our family and where we used to hunt. People weren't happy that my dad, brother and myself got nice deer over about a 5 year period. They were quick to forget that we took management bucks the other years. Years where we only drew a doe tag, we let it go to waste to ensure more deer for subsequent years.

You see the change on social media where instead of a congratulations, people will come down on a person because there's a red tag hanging off the antler. Hunting practices are scrutinized i.e. how many miles did you walk, do/don't push deer, bow hunting/rifle hunting, etc. Where the hell is the fun of it anymore?

I have to say, this year's opening day brought me to the badlands to help a friend out with his tag. I took a day off of work for someone else's deer hunt when I had a WT buck tag in my pocket for a completely different unit. I haven't had that much fun in years and I knew I wasn't filling a tag.

The people that think they're being singled out because they didn't get a tag; you entered a lottery. The definition of the lottery should settle your argument about a need to change the system so that it suits you. You have opportunities to hunt regardless if you draw a rifle tag in ND. If you disagree with that, then you need to come out from under the rock where you reside.

In conclusion, I'm done applying for 3B3 antlered WT. I'm going to get out of my comfort zone and try some different styles/locations. I'm absolutely at peace with this decision. What scares me is how I'm going to get my little one into deer hunting if I have zero passion for it anymore.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 181
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57