Onx= 7mil lawsuit for trespassing wth

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like "Mr. don't touch my corn" and "Mr. don't touch my air" should put a loaded gun to each others head, count to 3 and pull the trigger. Put each other out of their own misery. What a way to go thru life........not.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So Fred owns the two adjacent sections to the blm sections and if the article is talking about jumping the section corners. Fred is saying that he owns the air on the section corners and that since hunters had to physically touch his properties air in the process of crossing said section corner they were trespassing? The article is confusing when they talk about the airspace predicament of the legal arguments.

This will definitely set a precedent one way or another and local hunters should be talking to their local politicians to make section lines have atleast a somewhat reasonable easement to allow the public legal access to public land.

It is called the North Dakota Constitution.

We differ, a lot, with our fellow west of the Mississippi brethren.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Legal Boundaries are monuments on the ground placed by the original surveyor or a Registered Professional Land Surveyor. NOT an aerial photo with lines drawn on by Computer Technician.
My father was to good natured. After grandpa passed away my father bought his home farm from his brother's and sisters. He descovered a neighbor had moved two of those monuments because it was easier for him to build a new fence on cleared land than his brush and shrub land. He didn't just move enough to take up an acre or two he took nearly ten acres. With the fence all built my father did nothing rather than start a Hatfield and McCoy with the neighbor. I wonder how much gov land is behind private fences.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wyoming is in the process of going through corner hopping now hope it passes going to be alot of BS involved. Good and Bad it is crazy. We are not hunting his land just going from one BLM to another from corner just stupid shit.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would be considered a taking from the adjacent land
I consider tying up public land as a taking. We should make it voluntary by canceling all leases and only renewing those that allow public access. If they don't care about us I don't care about them no matter what they paid for grazing rights. The solution is easy, put the ball in their court. Treat them like the thieves they are.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
They need to draft a new law/rule that any corner of public land has a 10-foot diameter easement at EVERY CORNER

That would be considered a taking from the adjacent land
So what. Easements happen all the time. You could make some rules on the few sq feet on the corners if you wanted, but you shouldn't have to drag a step ladder with you to corner hop.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
This needs to go to a jury trial and the hunters be found not guilty of trespassing. Precedent set for the future. Carrying a ladder would suck though!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This needs to go to a jury trial and the hunters be found not guilty of trespassing. Precedent set for the future. Carrying a ladder would suck though!

That has already been done. Hence the lawsuit from this prick of a landowner, he's claiming the fact that they were found not guilty has lowered his property value by some $7 million. The question now is simply one of if this constitutes a "taking" by the government.

I say it doesn't, he should have never paid that extra seven million bucks, not our (the taxpayers) fault he incorrectly assumed that he would always be able to keep people off of the public land.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I bought private land next to public land, I would automatically assume that the public would attempt to access it. These guys are clearly trying to lock up the public land for themselves. Those same people trying to do that should be charged with trespassing on public land if they set foot on it.

What would be the harm in allowing an easement to be created and allowing access to the public land via foot traffic only?

Too many “Yellowstone/ Dutton” wannabes these days I guess.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this guy should be suing anyone, it should be the realtor that advertised the public land as essentially be part of the ranch. I have seen the advertisement and it pretty much said you had free and clear inaccessible land. You can’t be that stupid but he obviously thought he had it to himself.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what. Easements happen all the time. You could make some rules on the few sq feet on the corners if you wanted, but you shouldn't have to drag a step ladder with you to corner hop.
If the guy is like Montana ranchers a ladder wouldn't help. In Montana they asked to control air space over their land. Most of them think of that public land as theirs. If their grazing rights can't be taken cut the grazing down to one cow for every 640 acres. Maybe then the greedy ranchers will drop the arrogance.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88