Open water near Minot

flemingr

Just bought a boat and I am itching to get it in the water.is there someplace online to see if ice is out or have to drive around and look?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Mouse River is open.;:;rofl The tail race is open all the way past Bismarck.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Tailrace will be your closest drive right now. Read up on how to fish that area if you are unfamiliar with river boating.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
tail race... first boat? probably not the best place to learn... large rocks and concrete blocks not far under the surface... reading the water is a must on the river... darling and sakakawea are great places to learn... get good lake maps (see humminbird vs navionics post)

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you are an inexperienced boater best to wait a few weeks until Darling and Audubon open up. If possible take an experienced boater with you the first few times until you get comfortable loading/unloading the boat. Even if this is not the first boat you've owned take your time getting to know the nuances of your new boat...they are all just a little different! Just my take...

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are an inexperienced boater best to wait a few weeks until Darling and Audubon open up. If possible take an experienced boater with you the first few times until you get comfortable loading/unloading the boat. Even if this is not the first boat you've owned take your time getting to know the nuances of your new boat...they are all just a little different! Just my take...

Sorry, but inexperienced boater and Lake Audubon don't mix well. No other lake in ND has eaten more lower units than that place. TONS of rock covered sunken islands that go from 30 feet to 1 foot in seconds.

If you do go there for the first time, stay right around the Totten trail ramp if you plan on running the boat above trolling speed until you get to know the place really well.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sit in it in the garage for awhile. Did that for 2 months until the lakes opened up, wife thought I was nuts.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, but inexperienced boater and Lake Audubon don't mix well. No other lake in ND has eaten more lower units than that place. TONS of rock covered sunken islands that go from 30 feet to 1 foot in seconds.

If you do go there for the first time, stay right around the Totten trail ramp if you plan on running the boat above trolling speed until you get to know the place really well.

thank you for saying that... I didn't want to sound like Debbie downer and say "stay away from the river and Audubon" on the other hand... if you go to Audubon an easy solution is get a map chip and you will be 99% fine (even navionics on your phone will keep you mostly safe)

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Agreed...also believe 3 Mile
Corner and the cabin ramp offer good protection from wind to launch and recover. Yes, need to study a contour map of the target area...for sure!

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're not proficient, gonfind a large parking lot and learn to back up your trailer.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lakes will be busting up big time by the end of this weekend into early next week so best to wait for some of the safer lakes to open or head for nelson just watch out she's shallow on her south and west side.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell it might be quicker then that I guess. The lake my folks are on has decided today is a good day to start the breakup. Unfortunately​ did spot a four pound small mouth dead so hope that's not a sign of a real die off.

IMG_20170330_150953611.jpg

flemingr

Thanks guys for all your comments and advice especially about the river my wife still mentions an experience we had with rocks in a river about 5 years ago.we got out safely with no damages but it could have been a really bad experience

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 24
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7