Otter Cabin vs Otter Lodge

loocway

I just bought the Otter XT cabin. Haven't opened it yet. I bought it mainly because I have a crew cab with a 5 1/2 ft box with a topper. It will fit in my truck with end-gate closed. My brother has an otter xt pro lodge and I put his house in my truck knowing that I would have to have the end-gate down. I have to have it propped up in the front of my truck bed in order to close topper. I then used tie-downs in back of truck with ratchet strap to secure it. Auger fits nicely right next to it. My issue is that I want the lodge for obvious reasons (bigger), but don't know if it would be worth the hassle of having to drive with end-gate down and other reasons such as weight, cost, etc. I am also curious to hear of experiences with bench seats vs swivel seats. It is 50/50 whether I am fishing by myself or with someone. Any insight or opinions on pros and cons of both houses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't speak for Otters particularly but have fished on bench and swivel . I particularly like swivel for comfort movement and comfort. As for size I have a little shapell flip and it works great for me to fit in a jeep or any truck box with get statically placed in sled

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the otter pro lodge and have a short box as well but it's worth the room in my book, the sled will also have room for your auger inside of it where as the smaller will not if I'm not mistaken, the regular otters have the bench, pro line has thicker fabric-thickest on the market and the buckets. I don't have a topper but if the front goes in the box forward I can just lift and close tailgate and strap across the rear to prevent sliding around all gear inside of it

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a cabin with bench seat. I'd consider it a big one man, not sure I would want to sit in it with another adult to often. I actually keep the bench out most of the time because it's heavy as hell. I think the bench would be good if you have kids though. The perfect set up would be the cabin for yourself and get a hub house for when you go with others. You should be able to buy both for the price of a pro lodge.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the lodge pro xt with the swivel seats. Love the room, but it is a little heavy. Also have a canvas craft 6x8 and a clam 2000. Each has a purpose but I find myself leaving the others lately as the lodge will hold all my gear and I can load it and leave everything in it. Never heard anyone so I wish I had a smaller house.

loocway

Thanks for the comments. Yah, I have Jason Mitchell 5000 Hub. Just wondering thoughts on peoples experiences with cabin vs lodge. I know the cabin is probably best option for me right now but can't help wanting the next size up with the lodge. It really is roomy.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a cabin as well. I downsized from an X2 so that I could fit it in the box and lift it by myself. I would like more room but when I finally get a 4 wheeler or a or snow machine of my own, I'll have a flip over that rides on a trailer.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the cabin and also like it better because it fits in the box perfect. Another huge factor is the ability to load it yourself, it's heavy enough with that size that it's still difficult but i can do it. Those thermal tarps add a lot of weight

loocway

Any of you guys that have the cabin have issues with sled tipping when you sit to close to the end of the bench? If so, any ideas to remedy this issue? One thing i noticed when i sat in sled that was set up in the store.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of you guys that have the cabin have issues with sled tipping when you sit to close to the end of the bench? If so, any ideas to remedy this issue? One thing i noticed when i sat in sled that was set up in the store.

shovel a little snow/slush under the sled contour

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not a big fan of putting in the spreader bars so I get a bit of a tip when I lean forward.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46