Outdoor pizza ovens

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking for a knockoff ---- no ooni please. I am going to use the thing sproradically. I dont need to spend a fortune.

I am looking for options rotating stone possibly. Pellets you tell me idk

I have have used and seen the ooni in action and i know its weakness. Just seeing if anyone has another brand that is more economical in price and has better options.

Thoughts.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
"More economical " and "better options " are usually mutually exclusive. That said, the market is loaded with cheap no name ovens that would probably work for you. What is your budget? What level of pizza making experience do you have?

Another option would be to buy a baking steel or stone for your home oven, and test the waters with that. You can learn a lot, make dang good pizza, and see if a dedicated oven down the road would be something you actually want.

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have wanted to make my own out of rock or brick for years. And though some day I still would like one for pizza or baking bread I have come to the conclusion that if you already have a pellet grill you can buy a good pizza stone and make almost as good a pizza as you could with the outdoor oven. Probably cant reach the high temps you might want with the pellet grill but also don't have to spend 2 hours getting a hot enough fire going in a outdoor oven either.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
A home oven will kick the shit out of a pellet grill every day, in terms of a properly baked pizza.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been looking at building one myself but have not pulled the trigger. there are multiple videos on line showing how to do it with multiple methods and materials.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member

Mainly, top and bottom heat balance. Grills are 100% bottom heat. Ovens have top and bottom elements.

If we are talking frozen pizzas, then it don't much matter...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I much prefer the pellet grill to our oven. Its electric though the best pizza ever was the propane camper oven

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So you are saying the top heat from the regular oven makes the difference?

I'm not talking frozen.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a Pizzaque propane fired unit. Had mine for several years now. Gets to 800-900 degrees in summer, make sure you get the door though. I’ve had two friends who sold their Ooni pellet units after camping with me. Little to no reheat time with the propane compared to the Ooni. You need to rotate once during cooking and do not overcook. Best $200 I’ve spent on outdoor cooking for sure.

I far prefer to the pellet grill. But keep in mind these are full on homemade pizzas. I don’t cook frozen stuff on the Pizzaque. Oven or pellet grill for that. We seldom make frozen as the frozen is so much better.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you are saying the top heat from the regular oven makes the difference?

I'm not talking frozen.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Why do you suppose all the pellet grill pizza oven inserts consist of a little box to place on top of the heat source? Its not for the bottom heat.

Most home ovens pre-heat with both elements on. A lot of home ovens will then cycle the top element on/off as needed during the bake, to even the heat out. If its a convection oven with a fan, even better. In addition to that, if the bottom of your pizza is cooking too quickly, in a home oven, you can move it up a couple racks and finish under the broiler. Home ovens can also suffer from uneven bakes, depending on what type of surface you are cooking on, and your dough.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I totally disagree.

https://www.traeger.com/pellet-gril...R2NV6Sowj68I9kUUBeD2EjUL5Ypn0_jYaAnsFEALw_wcB

There are several different racks to move wherever you'd like.

Gets just as hot as most "regular" ovens (unless you fancy cooking on self clean mode)

AND you have far superior taste!!

If you think you need to broil the top, which I never have, you can certainly take it out and pop it under the broiler in the oven to finish it.

I absolutely LOVE my pellet grill for pizza.

PS: I always use a pizza stone

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i feel i get more of a convection cook with the pit boss with the fan running. My oven sucks electric ovens and stove stopes are the worst ever and cant wait for the thing to die to get propane

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
i feel i get more of a convection cook with the pit boss with the fan running. My oven sucks electric ovens and stove stopes are the worst ever and cant wait for the thing to die to get propane

Valid point. My oven is LP, convection. I also use a countertop Breville Smart Oven Air Pro sometimes, depending on what style I'm making. It's an electric convection.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I totally disagree.

https://www.traeger.com/pellet-gril...R2NV6Sowj68I9kUUBeD2EjUL5Ypn0_jYaAnsFEALw_wcB

There are several different racks to move wherever you'd like.

Gets just as hot as most "regular" ovens (unless you fancy cooking on self clean mode)

AND you have far superior taste!!

If you think you need to broil the top, which I never have, you can certainly take it out and pop it under the broiler in the oven to finish it.

I absolutely LOVE my pellet grill for pizza.

PS: I always use a pizza stone
I made these pan pizzas a couple weeks ago. I actually used my Yoder pellet grill. I placed my baking steel on top rack to help provide some top heat. The top steel was absolutely necessary, but due to being a longer baked pizza, in a pan, it turned out good. That said, same pizza cooked in either one of my indoor ovens would have cooked a few minutes faster, more evenly, and without the need to mess with any stones or steel. There is absolutely no extra flavor from a pizza cooked in a pellet grill at 550 vs an oven at 550, IME and IMO.

I will mention I also have a couple outdoor LP pizza ovens. They probably get used the most. I do love me some Neapolitan style pizza.

20231028_175130.jpg

20231028_200242.jpg

20231028_200350.jpg

20231028_205556.jpg

Attachments

20231028_205714.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146