pickle recipe

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know someone on here has to have a good one. anybody care to share? have a serious abundance of cucumbers and wanted to try something new

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have fridge space, a gallon or two of vodka refrigerator pickles is a good way to use up cukes.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
He just soaks them in the vodka, then takes them to work everyday in his lunch!! :;:rockit;:;boozer

GSP22366

Mcquoidguides.com has a very good northern recipe. Trish has had this on their recipe tab for a while. It's the best recipe I've used so far.
Eat the cucumbers fresh- go fish!

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
wanted to wait until i was in front of an actual computer to find em and copy and paste em. i use sort of a hybrid of these two.

https://queercooking.wordpress.com/2011/06/19/vodka-pickles-russian-refrigerator-dills/

https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/vodka-refrigerator-pickles/1038998

fill an ice cream bucket completely full with cukes (i like em in spears best if they are too big to use whole), half to a whole onion, one garlic cluster or a tblsp of the minced stuff, hot peppers (my last had hot waxed, thai and japs).

my brine is:
1/3 cup salt (i think 1/2 cup is a bit too much)
1 or 2 tbsp sugar
1 or 2 tbsp of pickling spice, some dill (i've used fresh, seed and freeze dried weed... it all works just fine)
1 1/2 cup vinegar,
1 cup vodka,
6 cups water
red pepper flakes if i don't add hot peppers

the amount of pickling spice, sugar, salt, hot peppers, red pepper flakes, dill, etc... can all be tweaked to your liking. we've done non vodka too. there are recipes for sweet ones and non sugar ones all over the internet with just a google search. frankly, i think its tough to mess these up. we are currently finishing our 4th gallon this year. and i just put up another last night. folks seem to love them. i regularly send them home with tupperware dishes full (its one of the main reasons we save our store bought food containers).

here is another for people who want to try something different. lots of people been eating them this way for years as i think it was more common in the old days when vinegar wasn't so easy to come by and canning with baths might have been too much trouble. but, they are fermentation pickles and reguire no vinegar or heat.

stuff a quart canning jar full of cukes. the jars and lids that your pickles come from the store in work just fine. but, if they are the 24 oz variety, you need to use less salt ( 2 tsp instead of 1 tbsp)
we also add about a quarter of onion and the occasional hot pepper or two.
1 tbsp canning salt
1 tbsp pickling spice
1 or 2 tsp of red pepper flakes if you are into heat
1 or 2 cloves of garlic cut into fourths (or 1/2 to 1 tsp of the minced stuff from the produce section of the store)
fresh dill on top... again, seed or dried works if you don't have fresh.

fill with hot water from the tap so that everything is covered. leave about 1/4 inch head space. i use reverse osmosis from the hot spigot of our water tank dispenser. we also done cold water. i can't really tell the difference and i suspect there isn't one. my grandma always just used cold tap water. my aunt used distilled at room temp. my in-laws use hot from the tap as hot as it will get. tighten finger tight. we let them sit on the counter for 5 days, turn up up and down once a day, they ferment and will likely bubble up and out of the jar a bit, and then hand tighten them down if they have worked lose at all and put them in the refrigerator. my family never did put them in the fridge when we were younger. just put them right into the basement or canning cellar. but, we've started doing it cause it keeps them crisp longer. i suspect it suspends or slows the fermentation process.

the amount of spice, garlic, pepper flakes, onions, etc... is simply a taste thing. the most important part is the salt. that should be relatively accurate and be by the level measuring device. its really easy to make them too salty.

Last edited:

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Refrigerator pickles
About a ice cream bucket 2/3 to full of sliced cucumbers and a decent amount of chunked green peppers and onions to your likings (I usually use 1-2 of each depending in the size of them) then add 1 cup vinegar and 2 cups sugar, mix frequently for about 12-16 hours and keep in refrigerator, will create its own brine over that time. and they are ready to consume after that time, You can add a second batch to brine created but after that need to start over. A family favorite for years for us and even I can make them.

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know. It just so happens to be #2 Or 3 down the page when you Google vodka refrigerator pickles.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I lost my spicy pickled egg recipe about 5 years ago.... still sad about it, stupid technology.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 175
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57