Pickup Shopping

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So after months of asking the wife to find a different vehicle, she ended up just telling me to get a different pickup. Not going to argue.

I don't pull anything real often but the weight of the boat is only going to get heavier. Right now, the 2004 GMC Sierra 5.3L pulls fine but has to down shift at the sight of a speed bump.

I've looked for plenty of Ford's and they seem to be the best bang for the buck; creature comforts like leather, backup cameras, etc. I think I'm paying for a name with GMC. Found a few Chevy's I like, and if my pickup would have sold or I could get what I want from the dealership, I wouldn't be posting this. I'd drive a tundra if I could find anything below $40K. Those things hold their value apparently. NO dodge.

The two good things about this situation, my current vehicle is paid off and I'm not in a hurry to buy anything.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep i got a used 14 tundra this last fall and i love it. Other than smaller box it has made me a yota guy

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Decide what you want and be patient, you will find the right deal. After you watch for a while you realize what is/isnt a good deal and you are ready to pounce once the deals hit.

The best time of year is after the new models come out and they are looking to get rid of the old models. I bought a holdover 2015 GMC Sierra doublecab in the exact colors and wheels i wanted a year ago for a little over 30K (13k off sticker). I got lucky and GM had pushed way too many double cabs on the dealers. When i saw the deal i knew it was go time, those trucks were gone almost instantly at that price.

Rydell then Ryan have the best prices in the state for Chevy/GM. Tried to deal with Schwan and they pretty much laughed at me.

Last edited:

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find a Chevy with a 6.0 in it. You don't care about gas mileage right?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The powertrain and all that jazz are probably great. But I see newer dodges with rust on the quarter panels. I don't get it.

thats a good reason if you ask me - early rust cancer of panels is BS

- - - Updated - - -

problem solved with aluminum fords now?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking I'd stick with 5.3 but 6.0 might be the ticket. I drive from south bismarck to north bismarck every day and twice on days I forget something at lowes/menards. Not like I'm getting good mileage anyway.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a 15 silverado crew cab in december. 6.2L with the 6.5' box. So far its been a great truck and I get the same, if not slightly better, gas mileage as my previous pickup ('12 silverado w/ 5.3L). If you throw much in the box the 6.5' is a huge upgrade from the 5'8" box that is on most crew cabs. The built in brake controller comes in handy when needed as well.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
once I got the hemi my attitude toward mileage got real poor - I love to drive fast now cuz there's no hesitation compared to my crappy 99 ram - even with boat in tow

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
mrs johnr purchased a Explorer sport with the eco boost, that fricken motor is a rocket ship. Not sure on pulling and whatnot, but it would about blow the doors of a corvette, not really of course, but sure feels like it.

If I was in the gas truck market, I would purchase a Ford with the eco boost.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would suggest you just order that new Chevy midnight edition 3/4 ton, LTZ package. That truck looks pretty sweet.

And if you throw your back out loading that kiddo in to the back seat, I know a good chiropractor.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I honestly think my next truck will be a Yota. A buddy has a year older Toyota Tundra than my Ford F150 and he drives his like its stolen. Beats the piss out of it, and he hasn't had a single thing wrong. My truck, which I definitely don't baby but drive a bit more granny style than he does, has been to the shop a few times for dumb things. Sort of ticks a feller off. For the price, they ALL should be damn near bullet proof these days.

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have over 210,000 miles on my Tundra and the only real issue I've had was new transmission @ 200,000. There was some emission sensors that would glitch out but even @ really high millage Toyota covered it all under warranty.

I pull my heavy ass boat all over. I just take it easy. Never over 65 mph, not using the cruise while pulling; and I don't have any issues. I'll buy another Tundra no question ask. I'm just gonna hold off until I drive the wheels off this one.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dodges kick butt, if your queer...haha

#guywhoisntqueerdrivesone

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking I'd stick with 5.3 but 6.0 might be the ticket. I drive from south bismarck to north bismarck every day and twice on days I forget something at lowes/menards. Not like I'm getting good mileage anyway.
I believe with the new 8 speed the 6.2 gets as good of gas mileage as the 5.3. It did loose a little acceleration though. It was the quickest half ton now i believe the eco will beat it (i know its a truck who gives a shit about 0-60.)

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been driving a Silverado all my life till almost 2 hrs ago. I switched to a Tundra. Bought a 12 with 20K miles for less than $30k. Got it from the Minot Toyota dealer. It's just a solid pickup! Went double cab. I wanted a 6.5ft box. Rode in the backseat from Fargo to Minot once and was comfortable.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33