Radon gas

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope!! I test the ventilation and air exchange in my basement. Mostly for moisture suppression, but I figure it works just as well on Radon, Freon, Peon, and the day after Mexican-on gases. Seriously though, these gases can be deadly given the correct conditions just like carbon monoxide. I make sure the air flow through my basement is up to par at least 4 times a year. I hate damp mustiness AND the crap you can't smell too.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In North Bismarck I believe it's more common, not sure about SE ND. In Colorado it's huge and nearly every home in say, Boulder, has a radon mitigation system.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
In North Bismarck I believe it's more common, not sure about SE ND. In Colorado it's huge and nearly every home in say, Boulder, has a radon mitigation system.

Icky!! No Thanks!!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should really test my home in NW Bismarck, but since nobody sleeps in the basement i haven't been to proactive. When i bought my first house in central Bismarck in 2006, the sellers had to install a mitigation system before sale. I can't remember what it tested, but i don't think it was outrageous.

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is radon usually only a problem with full basements? I have a split level home with a half basement... I always assumed that was safer for radon issues. Thanks

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member

SE ND seems to have some high concentrations:
radon88.gif

Article on recent death in Casselton: http://www.inforum.com/lifestyle/he...th-trap-first-radon-toxicity-listed-factor-nd

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Is radon usually only a problem with full basements? I have a split level home with a half basement... I always assumed that was safer for radon issues. Thanks

Its my understanding that Radon will seep into basements with sump tanks or other foundation cracks. Radon gas will take preferential pathways or least path of resistance into your basement. Im actually thinking about getting this test done as well..

Sim

I have a half basement as well (eastern part of the state), and had radon levels in the upper teens.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would strongly encourage everyone to get their homes tested for Radon. It's just a no brainer.

And as things change over time, such as new cracks in foundation, etc. It's never a bad idea to retest every 10 years or so.

If I were to be building a new home, I'd just have the collection pipe for a power vented radon mitigation system installed. It'd probably cost a couple hundred bucks to do that ahead of time vs a couple thousand dollars to install a system after construction.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a regular air exchanger on furnace. Does that help?

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a regular air exchanger on furnace. Does that help?

I don't believe an air exchanger does help, but I can't exactly explain why. Any reading over 4ppm is recommended to have a mitigation system installed.

That's a pretty nice map BTW.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had my basement tested before we bought the house. It was part of the inspection process. Which is something everyone needs to have done if they're buying a house. Saved our asses as the entire south side of the roof needed to be replaced. Best $200 I've ever spent.

KJS - ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had out house tested a few years ago - .4 whatever was where they want you to be - out house was .7 - seems like it doubled your chances of getting lung cancer from 1 in 1,000 to 2 in 1,000 for non-smokers - for the couple thousand they wanted to fix it for an existing house, they would not guarantee they could get the level down to .4 so I passed.

Probably be better off 'investing' in healthier food/gym membership/preventative doctor visits/etc. If our level was higher we would have gone w/ the fix attempt.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
When I sold my place north of Bismarck in 2014 I had to have it tested - ended up having to install the mitigation system - can't remember what it cost but certainly wasn't over a few hundred bucks.......

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I found this link jotto@nd.gov. The way I understand you can get test kits for free so I am going to check.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member

Truth. In-laws in NW Denver have Radon Mitigation going 24/7, 365.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4
  • This month: 2