Rain Gear?

300sktr

Established Member
I'm in the market for a set of new rain gear that keeps you DRY. Fish a number of tournaments and have had some wet days with suit I have now. Read good reviews on the Simms Contender jacket and bibs but they are a bit spendy. Any other brands that you have used or any other suggestions? Looks like it could be damp spring the way its been going. Thanks in advance.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have cabelas guide gear for five years now. Always stay dry and wasn't bad for price back then.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Arcteryx.gif

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up the Simms contender stuff on sale this spring. I got the whole suit for $360. Not bad considering the suit retails for $650. Cabelas had the bibs on sale for 179.99 and I see they still have the Red jacket on sale for 179.99. I found the matching brand new Dark Gunmetal jacket on Ebay. If you want a set of bibs that will keep you dry on a budget, I would look at Helly Hanson. They don't breath the best, but will keep your butt dry. Helly bibs and a high quality jacket wouldn't break the bank too bad.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The kuiu chugach nx and ultra nx are extremely packable and will keep you dry. Can use it on the water and in the field.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
When my Military Issue Gortex wears out, I'm buying what them boys on Deadliest Catch wear. You KNOW that stuff has to work and be durable at the same time.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
When my Military Issue Gortex wears out, I'm buying what them boys on Deadliest Catch wear. You KNOW that stuff has to work and be durable at the same time.

Thumbs Up Hard to beat a layer of rubber for keeping any/all moisture out. But if normal tailored fitting is used, that equals a sweat trap from hell.

Sizing them the size of rodeo clown pants allows lots of air movement.... so they don't need to be breathable. You see that approach used in all ocean-going occupations. I too prefer suspender-based gear so the open leg bottoms and waist can allow air flow - which means dryness.

I can't stand rain gear with "a waist" and no suspenders - because as soon as I put them on I feel the humidity rising at the waistline. Like one minute in.

- - - Updated - - -

I also prefer SHELL ONLY - so I can determine the layering myself.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm on the same page as you guy. However, If I need to wear my rain gear long enough for the humidity in my shorts to become a factor, it's time to go as I really hate being late for the blue num num club get together at the local watering hole that occurs on a rainy day.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, but I already have a jacket that fits you perfectly, and looks damn good in that sparkly boat.

I've been looking for that northface jacket all over the internets. If I find it, they want the soul of my first born. And you find it on the sale rack.

JCNodak

Honored Member
I have been looking for a set. I had to give mine back when I got out. Nothing has kept me as dry as that set did!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's a shocker! They can't even re-issue that stuff due to health regulations. I'll NEVER understand why the Army collects personal gear instead of letting the service member that sweat, bled, and whatever else in that gear keep it. The AF and the Navy let personal gear go with the member upon separation. It only makes sense.

JCNodak

Honored Member
There's a shocker! They can't even re-issue that stuff due to health regulations. I'll NEVER understand why the Army collects personal gear instead of letting the service member that sweat, bled, and whatever else in that gear keep it. The AF and the Navy let personal gear go with the member upon separation. It only makes sense.
They can't reissue it but they can sell it to military surplus stores. Maybe? Idk. If you know where I can get some let me know.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

The Navy asked for my stuff back. Not all of it, but they got my foul weather jacket, rain gear, and float coat.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting DM. When I separated from the Navy, I didn't have to turn any personal gear in. The only thing close was the sleep system I used in Afghanistan. Even that gave me the willies. Lots of my skin touched that sleep system in the 7 months I had it. Not that I didn't keep clean, but Afghanistan wasn't cold when I was there. I wouldn't want to sleep in a re-issued sleep system or any other gear that came in contact with someone elses skin on a regular basis. (Yuck) Maybe they now say rain gear isn't personal gear or an outer garment to save money. ;:;barf

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 157
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55