Re-Packing Wheel Bearings

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking at re-packing the wheel bearings on my ice castle. Figured it is about time. Has anyone done this? Easy to do on your own, or take it in someplace?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Easy to do but it's a big mess and time consuming, I roll with bearing buddies because it's easier.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Easy to do. If you do it right you will need to get a new seal on the back of the hub. You will have to remove the old one to get the rear bearing out. Go to Napa and get a bearing cup to fill the new ones with grease. Less mess that way. I've done both wheels in about an hour and half.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys. Looks like it's doable just have to find the time!

so your center caps have a rubber plug in em?

Guess I am not sure yet, I haven't pulled the metal plate off. From what I understand I will have to block the house up and take the wheels completely off to repack the grease. No bearing buddies unfortunately

- - - Updated - - -

I'll do it for ya if I can borrow it. Sometime from late December thru February...

Haha I'll ponder that!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep block it up, remove the wheel, remove the dust cover, cotter pin, castle nut, pull hub straight off. Crows feet work well for the dust cover. A chisel will get it off too. I use high temp silicone to seal the dust cover back on.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
And while your at it pull the pivot shaft off the stub shaft and clean it up. Regrease it and slide it on. I have seen houses that wont go down as the pivot shaft is seized up.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When putting back together go get a set of bearing buddings and put them on rather than the stock dust cover.
If you are in the Bismarck area, i can come and walk you through it if you want but can't do any of the work as recovering from back surgery and can't bend over or do much of anything yet. If i am around when you do it that is.
Sounds way more difficult than it really is. I think they used to charge like 100 bucks or so to repack wheel bearings. Guessing you have electric trailer brakes on it too?

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I repack bearings I do it by hand and use Mystic JT-6 red grease. It's the best grease I've found and will not wash off in water.

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
check out "The Vault" hub protection system before buying any bearing buddies.

- - - Updated - - -

www.pacifictrailers.com/pages/the-vault-hybrid-lubrication-system

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I repack bearings I do it by hand and use Mystic JT-6 red grease. It's the best grease I've found and will not wash off in water.

AGREE! Kind of old school but I do NOT think bearing buddies do the complete job. Don't get me wrong BB are ok for intermittent use.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
When putting back together go get a set of bearing buddings and put them on rather than the stock dust cover.
If you are in the Bismarck area, i can come and walk you through it if you want but can't do any of the work as recovering from back surgery and can't bend over or do much of anything yet. If i am around when you do it that is.
Sounds way more difficult than it really is. I think they used to charge like 100 bucks or so to repack wheel bearings. Guessing you have electric trailer brakes on it too?

thank you for the offer! Just have to find time to do it, but I will shoot you a pm if I decide to take it on myself. Yes there are electric trailer brakes on it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34