Rewards Credit Cards

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am sure this has been discussed before, but my search didn't turn up any new conversations on it. What have others found to be the best credit card for rewards. I have a Cabelas card but the rewards aren't that great so I am thinking of looking for something with travel rewards. So far everything is pointing to one of the Capital One cards, but looking for input. Balance is always paid off so no interest is accrued.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like my Wells Fargo visa signature reward card. Take a free vacation every year on it.
Pay everything I can on this card. Tied to my Wells Fargo Checking/Savings so I can see all at a glance online and constantly pay off my card for 0 balance. Had it 9 years and great customer service. Tied to Pay Pal, Amazon, etc. No issues, ever.

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still happy with the Capitol One Venture, haven't paid for an airline ticket in years. It kind of depends on how much you spend per year to decide what card is best.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have Citi Double Cash. My wife researched a lot and weighed pros and cons of a bunch of cards. This costs us nothing and is 2% back on everything. There were other cards that offered bonuses at sign up or if you spent $X in the first month, but their percentages were lower and I found that we'd still come out ahead with Citi. I also have a Cabela's card, but I hate being limited to that store when I don't spend nearly as much there as I used to. It's nice to use for online purchases since I don't like using my debit card, but otherwise all our spending goes with the Citi card now. No complaints.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Cabelas card but the rewards aren't that great so I am thinking of looking for something with travel rewards. So far everything is pointing to one of the Capital One cards, but looking for input. Balance is always paid off so no interest is accrued.

I'm in the same situation. I live in a town with no major sporting goods store. So I got the Cabelas card because at the time Scheels didn't really have a website and most sites didn't have cheap/free shipping and with a Cabelas card I got a $5 flat shipping no matter what I ordered. Now I really only buy from Cabelas to use points or because they have a really good sale. Discover and Citi seem to have the best cash back. I am also considering getting a Scheels card. It sounds like if you spend 25K or more a year on it you get better % back in store and on some other purchases.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I also have the Cabela's card, but was thinking of going to a travel card or cash back card. Looking forward to the input here as well.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy should be getting 2x points per dollar spent in most cases with sometimes higher amounts on select purchases. Most of these Scheels/Cabelas/store brand cards are only 1x points except for in store when you then get 2-3x. The store brand definitely aren't the best, unless of course your trying to secretly buy outdoors shit with the gift cards behind your wifes back :)

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Citi double cash 2% back in everything.... Capital one quicksilver 1.5% back and has no foreign transaction fees so use when up in Canada. Pay off at the end of every month if you carry a balance on credit cards it doesn't matter what you get back

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been pleased with Discover. Have that as an autopay if ordering anything from Amazon. Very good customer service.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cap 1 venture here for many years, super customer service and the rewards points pays for the better part of our annual vacation travel and lodging expenses. Never carried a balance nor paid a penny in interest. IIRC its 90/year fee.
I pay for about 90% of all my purchases and monthly bills with it so the points add up fast.

Last edited:

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
IF you pay off your balance monthly, the best card you can receive cash rewards is Citi Bank Double Cash credit card. However, it's not a good card if you don't have top notch credit scores and your income levels don't provide enough buffer to their matrix of what ceiling the card will authorize at one time. I have one and I pay everything with it, then pay one larger bill each month. My cash back comes to about $550/yr which is way more than I could receive from Cabela's or Scheels.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
It looks like the discover card basically picks a new thing every quarter that you get 5% back up to $1,500 spent per quarter, everything else is 1%. For instance one quarter it may be grocery stores, the next quarter it may be amazon, then gas stations etc. I can see how if you spent wisely to maximize the 5% every quarter it may work out in your favor over a standard flat 2% card. Kind of seems like a lot of work to maximize the rewards though.

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the info guys. The Capital One Venture seems like a good card. I have been doing some reading here: https://thepointsguy.com/. It seems like the Chase cards are some of the top rated and provide good rewards if looking for travel miles. I am in a toss up between a Chase card and the Venture card.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another vote for the Capital One Venture card. Points add up pretty fast

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pay for about 90% of all my purchases and monthly bills with it so the points add up fast.

How do you guys pay monthly bills with CC? Most places wont let me do it. Been trying to do that for the points as well.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you guys pay monthly bills with CC? Most places wont let me do it. Been trying to do that for the points as well.
Pretty much all bills can be set up as an automatic draft off a credit card just like if they were coming out of your checking account. Literally my only bill's that aren't paid by my credit card are my MDU bill and my mortgage principle & interest. MDU wanted a service charge last time i checked, glad i have Capitol for electric.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 33