• Rod

Votes: 57 82.6%
  • Reel

Votes: 12 17.4%

• Total voters

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not a one, or the other, for me. It's the marriage of them together. I have really shitty rods matched up with equally crappy reels that I let my kids beat the hell out of, and OK rod/reel combos that I use.

Oddly enough, I do just as well when I grab the crappy gear, mostly because a crappy rod masks the crappy reel, and vice versa.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at all my setups I have middle of the road rods for open and ice and can't complain. Reels on the other hand I am starting to run better ones as my cheap ones wear out. In baitcasters especially I am willing to spend a little more for quality and ease of use and after trying a 13 fishing freefall ghost for ice I am very intrigued by some of the better models, but then again I like gadgets.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleyes ? ND ? if MN a rod. ND depends on the situation.

Biggest issue with Reels - drag is tightened all winter long and they go flat. Rods - depends on the situation - jigging and rigging you need a good rod. I guest i would say Rod.

I think the question is how many rod/reel combos do you think one needs for walleyes in ND? How many is to many?

- - - Updated - - -

how many do you have in your boat when you fish for fun?

I have at least 8 rods in my boat at all times and up to 12. Depends on how much time on the water and how I plan to fish for the day. 2 or 3 jig rods, 2 bobber rods, 2 bottom bouncer rods (bait casters) and 2 line counter (crank rods).

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rod, have to know the fish is there to reel it in. Not going to lie a st. Croix legend extreme paired with a stradic is hard to beat for walleyes.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Assuming we are talking walleye fishing here. Spend the big bucks on a rod and slap a phfleuger president on there and your good to go. Bass or Muskie? A good baitcaster will cost you a lot more than your rod. The difference between a cheap baitcaster compared to $300 baitcaster is yuge. The difference between a $60 President and $300 shimano is noticeable but not by a yuge margin.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your jigging, and especially with a tough,finicky, light bite.Rod all day is the deciding factor. If you dont feel and hook the fish you have no need for a reel.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no comprise, I know what I like and what I want. Its like putting shiney new wheels on a rusted out pickup or vise versa. Those that have paired high end rods and reels know what I am talking about. Don't get me wrong a president/sr.croix is a very good set up but there are lighter more sensitive options.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no comprise, I know what I like and what I want. Its like putting shiney new wheels on a rusted out pickup or vise versa. Those that have paired high end rods and reels know what I am talking about. Don't get me wrong a president/sr.croix is a very good set up but there are lighter more sensitive options.

E87B983D-C6A8-4835-8025-3F47D6C01F23.jpg

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
rod...

drill 2 screws into a $600 rod or a $20 rod and mount a reel to it and you will see little difference on a #3 fish... what to most of us catch???

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If doing anything but casting and retrieving the rod is the most important. I usually spend more time feeling for the bite than I do reeling it in. But eating these guys who fish for bad and it's cast after cast you definitely need a good reel but I still say you need to feel what is happening on the retrieve. For me ROD.

If flourishing definitely rod unless it's a hundred pounds tampon than you better have a good drag.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gimme that gained sensitivity every time you climb the rod quality latter all week. Cannot wait to try these 2 new ones built by my buddy Ed over at Northern Advantage Custom Rods in Fargo..(shameless plug)
Back when scheels had the Stradics on sale for $99; my buddy and i still wished we would have each bought triple the amount and called it good. Dagumit

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I'm pulling I like a quality reel and a decent rod.
When I'm jigging or lindy rigging I need a high end rod and a good quality reel as well.
My wife doesn't understand why I need 30 of these combinations thou ha ha ha!

My buddy works in the fishing dept. said a kid around 20 came in and bought 2 stella and an NRX combos. Couldn't imagine spending 2 grand on two rods and reels but each to their own I guess. #$%^&>#$%^&>

Last edited:

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rod, have to know the fish is there to reel it in. Not going to lie a st. Croix legend extreme paired with a stradic is hard to beat for walleyes.

^^^ He said it all right there.^^^

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gimme that gained sensitivity every time you climb the rod quality latter all week. Cannot wait to try these 2 new ones built by my buddy Ed over at Northern Advantage Custom Rods in Fargo..(shameless plug)
Back when scheels had the Stradics on sale for $99; my buddy and i still wished we would have each bought triple the amount and called it good. Dagumit

There it is again, the ultimate name for a crankbait. "Shameless Plug".

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
For jigging and Lindy rig fishing I think the rod would be more important. If trolling BB its about a push, but I really like my G-Loomis rod I have for my main BB rod. But with BB a very good bait caster is a must for me also. Plugging or cranking, the reel is more important.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I'm pulling I like a quality reel and a decent rod.
When I'm jigging or lindy rigging I need a high end rod and a good quality reel as well.
My wife doesn't understand why I need 30 of these combinations thou ha ha ha!

My buddy works in the fishing dept. said a kid around 20 came in and bought 2 stella and an NRX combos. Couldn't imagine spending 2 grand on two rods and reels but each to their own I guess. #$%^&>#$%^&>

That's $1350 a stick. Both plus tax would be pushing 3 grand. My combos seem like garage sale specials now.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 6'6" Lady Pflueger rod/spinning reel combo I bought the wife.... used it one day for pitching jigs and to this day it's still my favorite. The medium light rod is very sensitive and the reel has been great so far. Say what you want about my "LADY" and it's flamboyant blue colored reel :) It catches me the most fish and that's all I care about!

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rod and Reel. I cast a lot had a shitty reel drag sucked lost nice fish, Rod has to be were i feel everything. I do cast a lot both jigs and swim bait, cranks. When it comes to cranking it is the reel.

Dalton

I would have to say they are both important. It’s nice to have a good rod to feel bites but also nice to have a good quality reel with a smooth drag system.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 151
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52