SD state record waldo

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crazy how things can change so fast in nature, then stay dormant for a very long time.

Valleywatcher

Doesn't the game and fish take possession of the possible record and do tests on the fish before declaring any new records? I read this was the procedure in north dakota and I sure south Dakota must have the same when deal with potential new state records.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you think live sonar is the reason for this,.you would think that with front facing live sonar you could pick out that big girl?

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fruits of the 2003 mega hatch.
I said last week that record will be broke in a week.. awesome fish!👍👍

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've watched plenty of videos on YouTube to know that the live sonar is used to locate fish that are sitting just outside the current looking for bait to come by. The live sonar is used to find those fish in those areas, regardless of the bait or lure you are using. Saving a fishermen a lot of time targeting pockets of fish that are actively feeding instead of fish that are not.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/the-world-of-walleyes/153609#:~:.
This is interesting read on the growth of different populations of walleye in different state waters.
Within a body of water, growth rates of year classes may vary considerably due to climatic conditions and abundance of prey. Walleyes in southeastern reservoirs grow fastest, with some young fish approaching 12 inches at age 1. The average for Minnesota walleyes, however, is 12 inches at age 3, while in South Dakota, they average 15 inches at that age.
And slot limits may help as well but who wants to eat big walleyes over 24 inches

Last edited:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
With river so low in Bismarck and terrible fishing we have been down in SD three times a lot of fun and they
1699899198088.png
are damn fat. Pulling plugs has been ticket so far Akaska down to Gettysburg hottest spots. Picture my buddy sent me.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
With river so low in Bismarck and terrible fishing we have been down in SD three times a lot of fun and they
1699899198088.png
are damn fat. Pulling plugs has been ticket so far Akaska down to Gettysburg hottest spots. Picture my buddy sent me.
A couple of those look like smallmouth bass they're so fat!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
With river so low in Bismarck and terrible fishing we have been down in SD three times a lot of fun and they are damn fat. Pulling plugs has been ticket so far Akaska down to Gettysburg hottest spots. Picture my buddy sent me.
No forage shortage for those.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 155
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93