Service Dogs/Companion Dogs

64Mustang

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is your opinion on these dogs going into eating establishments like Dairy Queen? I was eating at DQ at lunch and a lady walks in with her companion dog, orders food, and sits down. The dog isn't a puddle and I can see dog hair all over the ladies clothes. She sits down in booth next to mine and turns on youtube and music loud enough for people in all the surrounding booths to hear. She had to leave the table to go out to her car, and sure enough she is parked in handicapped. I could see no physical ailments to her other than her extra 60 lbs she was carrying on her body:)

Why should a companion dog be allowed in eating places? I have dogs but they are in my house, not in a common place like DQ.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's BS unless the dog plays a critical role.

I personally know of people who use the "support dog" title to take dogs places that normal people don't/won't because normal people have common sense.

Those who truly need it (seeing eye dogs, seizure detecting dogs, etc.) ABSOLUTELY!

But, like everything else, trash people are ruining this too.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
All the snowflakes need emotional support animals because the world is such a big scary place.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND or nationally we need a law for this and one must have documentation of it along with you when you take your animal into places.
See people doing this all the time. Friend of a friend pulls this crap all the time saying they are service animals. BS to that as he doesn't need it and his animals aren't trained to be service animals.
Then the fricken idiots parking in the handicapped parking that don't need to be in there. Use those stickers so they can park close to the building. Or their kids use them too. We have a handicap sticker and i can count on one hand how many times i have used it. Also when i did, it was in the hospital or clinic parking when i couldn't hardly walk. I park and walk or if i am that bad i stay home and don't go out shopping.
Leave the handicapped parking for people that really need it!
My rant is over.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the dog bothers you, ask the person for their Service Dog Documentation. If they can't produce any, ask them to take the dog outside. If they refuse, tell them you are afraid of dogs and that they and their animal are causing you intense personal harm and that they will be held financially responsible if you have a meltdown and can't work, can't perform in bed, if you suddenly fall into the fetal position and start rocking or become a liberal. If that doesn't work, it will at least be worth the look on their face throughout the entire exchange.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
generally i like dogs more than people. I really dislike both that are not well behaved.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is your opinion on these dogs going into eating establishments like Dairy Queen? I was eating at DQ at lunch and a lady walks in with her companion dog, orders food, and sits down. The dog isn't a puddle and I can see dog hair all over the ladies clothes. She sits down in booth next to mine and turns on youtube and music loud enough for people in all the surrounding booths to hear. She had to leave the table to go out to her car, and sure enough she is parked in handicapped. I could see no physical ailments to her other than her extra 60 lbs she was carrying on her body:)

Why should a companion dog be allowed in eating places? I have dogs but they are in my house, not in a common place like DQ.

Careful what you say about additional weight on a person around here :D. Derail could be coming to another thread;:;popcorn

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Starbucks closed for part of the day for diversity training and now allows NON paying customers to hang around for who knows how long. Not sure you can even call them CUSTOMERS if they don't buy anything.. Its called LOITERING! And now so called companion animals. Doctors need to take some responsibility versus pencil whipping notes for their patients about the NEED for a companion animal to be able function in society.;:;banghead Some of these folks just need to put in a good days work! That would solve a good number of things. Obviously I am not talking about the folks with real mental health issues.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it's ridiculous that people bring their dogs with them everywhere. I get that some people truly need, or certainly benefit from having a service animal with them, but the yahoos that are just doing it because people are too uncomfortable to say anything, are truly ruining it for the people who really need the animal.

That being said, businesses are becoming accustomed to it. It's becoming more commonplace, to see June waltzing down the aisle at Target, carrying Fifi, her support animal. It's become so the store personnel don't dare say anything to anybody about anything (see Starbucks stopping their entire operation to "train" everybody to be less racial-profiley)

And I enjoy animals. I think dogs are great, and sometimes even enjoy this free-loading cat I have in my house.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a buddy with a few rental properties. His policy is no pets. He's had several pull the companion emotional bs. I guess Dr's will write prescriptions left and right for emotional support. He had one that never told him about the dog. The dog destroyed the house and he started getting complaints from the neighbors. Ended up trying to evict the family and lost in court.

This was in MN.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If the dog bothers you, ask the person for their Service Dog Documentation. If they can't produce any, ask them to take the dog outside. If they refuse, tell them you are afraid of dogs and that they and their animal are causing you intense personal harm and that they will be held financially responsible if you have a meltdown and can't work, can't perform in bed, if you suddenly fall into the fetal position and start rocking or become a liberal. If that doesn't work, it will at least be worth the look on their face throughout the entire exchange.

I heard it's a federal law that you cannot even ask to see a persons paperwork so anyone can walk into a place with a dog and not have to have paperwork

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
it's the most abused thing I've ever seen. If you can't go into DQ without your dog for that short of time stay the hell out. What the hell happened to this country where we now feel entitled to take our dogs into stores where people shop. Lawyers have to love this shit.

bowhunter88

Established Member
I think the system is abused because it is such a simple and inexpensive process. I know of some who registered their dog because the apartment they wanted didn't allow pets. Got the registration and then having a pet wasn't an issue. Also easier for them to travel and stay at hotels, etc.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard it's a federal law that you cannot even ask to see a persons paperwork so anyone can walk into a place with a dog and not have to have paperwork

I'll see your Fed Law and raise you a Constitution. I heard it's in the Constitution that I have freedom of speech and can say what I want, when I want, and to whom I want. Disclaimer: Not valid in the state of Californistan or any Democrat controlled areas or safe spaces......or anywhere someone might be insulted......or where it might be racist, sexist, homophobic, muslitopic, microaggrivating, outdated, or anywhere the 9th circus quirks of asspeals has jurismydiktion. Wait, where are we playing again??

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are places in Fargo that do allow and welcome dogs into their stores. Scheels is one of them as was Gander Mountain prior to closing. I do take my dog into Scheels with me as it is a good place for socialization for the pup as well as training/teaching moments with distractions. I do not believe that they should be allowed in eating establishments.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member

I believe MN enacted a law that it is a $100.00 fine to lie or impersonate a Service Dog. Not sure it was signed into law by Governor Goofy yet.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a service dog that picks things up, opens and shuts doors, turns lights off an on and a ton of other stuff. He has better manners than I do and is better behaved too. :;:smokin

I agree with you about all the "service" dogs that seem to be everywhere. I get tired of all theses wanna be dogs and their whiny owners crying about made up stuff that bothers them.

Here's Max and I doing a clinic at the VA

Me and Max at the VA.jpg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
what is happening is they are belittling actual service dogs. and states are cracking down on it now. My wife works for the national park service and they have had it with non-service dogs being brought into the buildings and are now enforcing strict rules that it has to be a true service dog. I forget the criteria she says they have to have but it's rather stringent. True service dogs have this apparently.

onpoint!

Established Member
Business can’t even ask for credentials/proof or registrations- if it’s called a Service Dog (by the owner), it’s a service dog. No doctors note, no training record, no nothing. It’s a bunch of bs. Food places, hospitals, anywhere. It’s a bunch of bs. And it won’t change because we’re too politically correct to demand any verification, as I’m sure that would be discriminatory. It’s all bs.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Business can’t even ask for credentials/proof or registrations- if it’s called a Service Dog (by the owner), it’s a service dog. No doctors note, no training record, no nothing. It’s a bunch of bs. Food places, hospitals, anywhere. It’s a bunch of bs. And it won’t change because we’re too politically correct to demand any verification, as I’m sure that would be discriminatory. It’s all bs.

That is False.

You guys realize there are plenty of veterans with PTSD that have service dogs (and even cats oh My!) right? You all love veterans, don't you?

You are using the worst examples to try to paint everyone with a service animal into the same corner.

TRAINED service animals, I have no problem with anywhere.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33