Smart TV?

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have an older smaller Roku and are thinking of getting a bigger one. From some newer ads it appears Roku has upped their game. When in AZ the place we were at had a newer LG.

Any
preferences or recommendations?

Thanks for any and all comments.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 65inch tcl. For the price I'm not sure it can be beat. Think I paid about 350 for it 4 years ago

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Told Samsung and LG were the best built by a guy who said he was in the know. So, for 500 bought a 65 inch Samsung which was 2 dollars more than the LG. db

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my Samsungs for picture quality, but the smartTV operating system is junk. I've added the thumb drive looking Roku to those. We have a 65in TCL Roku TV. The operating/navigating system is great. But, the picture is definitely lower in quality. The TCL much more reasonably priced, $350 vs ~$1,000.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sony will require you to pay for a lot of apps that are free on the other brands. LG oled are great tv as well as Samsung QLED and OLED. My preference would be Samsung for best bang for your buck.

To add a lot of Sony screens are made by LG so if your looking at Sony I would probably go LG route.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had Sony's at the ranch and since moving away have all Samsung's.
Gave the kids all Samsung's too. Together we have 8 Samsung's and so far not any trouble at all, knock on wood. Had them for about 8-10 years now.
Going to get the 80+'' Samsung next, so will be looking for good deal in the next year.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
agree, i like my samsung tv, but the smart apps suck and u cant get half of the ones we wanted. so we end up using the fire sticks on every tv

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This remote from our LG OLED has been great.

1680798373524.png

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
like lg in the last 1.5 years ive bought 2 60 inch as my wife has a dog that likes to knock them off the stand and fracture the screen. its a big dog

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I work for an ISP and CATV provider, on the wifi front, we run into our worst trouble calls for streaming problems dealing with Roku loaded tvs. The materials used in their craftsmanship are very sub-par to be dealing with the types of wifi connections we demand now days. My recommendation would be to buy a better TV and get a Roku stick if that is the route you wish to go.

Our best devices for streaming are any hubs, like apple tv. These hubs sit out in the open, or in an open compartment in an entertainment center and can receive a much better signal from your router this way. This greatly improves your picture quality while streaming. You can also achieve better quality out of your firesticks by purchasing a short HDMI extension cable and getting the stick itself located out away from behind the TV. Flat panel TVs are great reflectors of Wi-Fi signals, thus blocking the signal, or degrading it, to a point where you have streaming issues.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
BBJ: 80".....Hell, just buy a movie theater!
Optometrist said I needed new glasses. I said heck no, I will buy a bigger TV.
Buddy down here in Payson has the 80+'' Samsung and man does that sucker have a great picture.
Only thing bad with these new TV's is you need a sound bar to hear them. Their speakers in the TV's suck!!!!!
That and all the damn music they play in the background. Might be OK for someone with great hearing but me damn near deaf, not so much.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a 32 TCL smart TV because it was reasonably priced and you could run Google app that allowed you to mirror your smart phone. The TV is used in my camper so it's only used for 6 months at a time, I found out last summer after doing an update on the firmware that the TCL TV no longer uses Google apps and Apple ios only. Now I can't mirror my phone to the TV anymore, was a great TV for the price but I will be ordering a different TV for the camper.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Each brand has a different interface. Spend some time at the store on the display TVs navigating with the remote to see which you like or don't like.
VERY true! I have two Samsungs, one on the mass production side and the other a 4k UHD higher end. Completely differentiated in appearance AND in their operation and responsiveness.

The mass produced version takes forever to recognize buttons I press and the smart remote for the other is immediate. I HATE press buttons and nothing happens. 😡 Those processors aren’t even on the same playing field.

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I work for an ISP and CATV provider, on the wifi front, we run into our worst trouble calls for streaming problems dealing with Roku loaded tvs. The materials used in their craftsmanship are very sub-par to be dealing with the types of wifi connections we demand now days. My recommendation would be to buy a better TV and get a Roku stick if that is the route you wish to go.

Our best devices for streaming are any hubs, like apple tv. These hubs sit out in the open, or in an open compartment in an entertainment center and can receive a much better signal from your router this way. This greatly improves your picture quality while streaming. You can also achieve better quality out of your firesticks by purchasing a short HDMI extension cable and getting the stick itself located out away from behind the TV. Flat panel TVs are great reflectors of Wi-Fi signals, thus blocking the signal, or degrading it, to a point where you have streaming issues.
I too work for an IPTV/ISP provider and I have seen more Samsung with internal wireless streaming problems than any other brand. Many we have to hardwire even if router is a few feet away. Newer ones seem better but they soured my taste for them. I’d take a TV with external device as you described any day over relying on the TV internal software.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have no idea, old, all i wanted is to push a button so i can watch Gunsmoke and my Samsung does that for me with no problems. A time of two i must of push the wrong button as i ended up looking at all kinds of movies. Had to shut power off to get it back where i wanted it. Must have a few hundred channels and ME tv and INSP would do it for me. All i really need is a good cowboy show. db

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55