Smoked beef roast

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went through a few pages of forums and didn't see anything. All I'm looking for is a decent recipe with flavor for a roast if anyone here has one. Prob end up pulling it for sandwiches guess it depends how it turns out. Thanks!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess you should tell us what cut of beef you are smoking. Most cuts of beef tend to dry out above 135-140° internal temperature except for the brisket which needs to be cooked to 180°+. This allows the meat to be subjected to the smoking process for a very long time. I really haven't thought about smoking a cross rib beef roast or another cut of roast beef. I guess that you could just grill a beef roast with some smoke chips in the charcoal just to add some smoke flavor.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was gonna dry rub. I have not tried injecting, would that help keep it from drying out or just add some flavor? It's a shoulder roast I believe

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have done chuck roast and a sirloin tip roast and they turn out really good. My little cheat method is just rub it and let it smoke for a few hours (3-4 i suppose) then put it in a crockpot with some onions, carrots, celery or whatever I have and a little beef stock for a couple more hours till tender. Then you get the yummy jus to go with it on sandwiches.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
20180505_091732.jpg

20180505_194743.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is the sirloin roast I made a couple weeks ago. Wasn't pulled beef tender but sliced really nice for sammies

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would Google "pepper stout beef" and give that a try with that beef roast.

I reverse seared a beef roast a couple weeks back and it just wasn't very good. Tough and I cooked to med rare. It would get dry as shit if you just smoked it to pulling texture, not enough fat in that cut. I think you need to get it in a pan with some juices for pulling.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It ain't beef, but I had to post it anyway. Boston butt, dry rub over yellow mustard, smoke 6 hours then on the rotisserie. 20180525_112457.jpg

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:
Yesterday smoked the roast at 225 for 4 hours. Then using a version of Luvcatchingbass, covered a pan with peppers, onion and garlic, some beef broth and set that roast on top. Covered and left in oven another 3 hours at 325. And DAMN that was tasty! Had leftovers tonight with some famous Dave's cornbread muffins and pasta salad. Very good and thumbs up from the family

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best rub I have come up with is plain old pepper, kosher salt and Lawry's salt.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
my dry rub starts out with some cheap Cajun spice and I add garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, black pepper and what ever looks good in the spice cabinet. I do not cook anything with salt (just what is in the Cajun mix) as it tends to dry things out and one person says needs more salt the next one says too salty. well now every says needs salt and I point em to the salt shaker lol but they don't complain the meat is dry.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
my dry rub starts out with some cheap Cajun spice and I add garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, black pepper and what ever looks good in the spice cabinet. I do not cook anything with salt (just what is in the Cajun mix) as it tends to dry things out and one person says needs more salt the next one says too salty. well now every says needs salt and I point em to the salt shaker lol but they don't complain the meat is dry.

I agree, no salt in a rub ... it pulls the liquid out of anything you put it on. Hamburgers and steak I'll use it because the cooking time is so short that salt's properties to dehydrate beef do not come into play. Only salt and pepper on a steak. Good meat seasoned right is the best!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I am making my rubs I usually don't actually put salt in them but I will sprinkle kosher salt on my food and then apply my rub.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33