Soaking Meat in Fridge

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
All my feathered game gets a thorough rinsing and then an overnight submerse in plain old cold water. It removes some of the blood I can't get at or don't see. I know it works as the water is always pink in the morning. IMO getting as much blood out of my game as possible makes better table fare.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK, I stand properly chastised in salt won't kill all bacteria associated with birds.

I will now have to use bleach. And heat, lots of heat.

Mostly I am just trying to soak some of the excess blood clots out associated with the holes in the birds. Well, that and clean them up so I can find all the bb's and feathers shoved into the meat. I hate both of them.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
whoa! this thread is like a rollercoaster........... and fwiw, i do like z glockenspeil

anywho, glad 2 c we're back on track

so, everything has been addressed (and then some....) stave for

how long is too long? as in, "crap, i forgot my game soakn in the fridge, i should throw it out, cuz xyz days have passed"

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
For years I was taught to soak my waterfowl in a salt/vinegar solution as stated above to clear out blood/clots,this goes back to the 70's,today when I have time I soak these birds over night in coke which not only draws the blood but also tenderizes the meat whether a whole bird or breasted out.Then fire up the grill~

stuff 009.jpg

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soaking meat in the fridge. There used to be a joke going around involving that and Walter Payton.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn that looks good Snow!

i especially like the pregarnished plate. adds a lot to the presentation. eating some bacon wrapped/grilled duck breast tonight that's been soaking since saturday. hope to see friday....

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The pregarnished plate does tend to increase fabulousness like Rachel Ray's jeans. I believe you'll be fine as surely you have all the poop leached.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34