Haze

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do they have that many fires get going this early in spring that far north? They had to have snow and melt and everything a little wet no? What am I missing here? Do they smolder all winter long? Something seems off about it. I never remember this many fires and this much smoke growing up. I hardly remember any days with haze or smoke and as far as I know they’ve had forests in canada back then 🤷‍♂️

grumster

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How do they have that many fires get going this early in spring that far north? They had to have snow and melt and everything a little wet no? What am I missing here? Do they smolder all winter long? Something seems off about it. I never remember this many fires and this much smoke growing up. I hardly remember any days with haze or smoke and as far as I know they’ve had forests in canada back then 🤷‍♂️
C’one man, global warming..oh wait it’s climate change now. I can see another increase for those poor sucks north of us in a carbon tax... and not to be Debbie downer but we are the carbon they want to rid..

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don’t fires emit co2? Wouldn’t massive amounts of fires increase atmospheric co2….. 🤔 it’s almost like they are trying to push a narrative again. My gut tells me something isnt normal with these fires. That’s a lot of fires to be going already this early after winter

Last edited:

grumster

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don’t fires emit co2? Wouldn’t massive amounts of fires increase atmospheric co2….. 🤔 it’s almost like they are trying to push a narrative again. My gut tells me something is normal with these fires. That’s a lot of fires to be going already this early after winteralmost like human intervention in starter these fires.. but I’m just a consperisy therotrist..
As if these fire aren’t normal…:unsure:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That haze isn’t blocking the rays, you’ll still gonna burn under that sun, ask me how I know.. lol I currently look like a well done lobster.
I have to apply face sunscreen right away almost every day on the water or I burn. The last really bad smoke summer I went almost the entire month of July without using sunscreen. The sun appeared less intense than a flashlight in the eyes.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fires of last summer over-wintered very well, but I don't know all the details on why. Basically, they sat and simmered all winter, and now with the warmth of spring they are taking off again. The Canadians referred to them as zombie fires.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Im not familiar withBC and Alberta's land mass in this northern timber region but here in North Central mn peat bog fires underground will burn for weeks/ months igniting random ground fires. Ran across these bog fires traveling thru yukon territory years ago,never made the news down here in lower 48

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I started noticing it was hazy yesterday morning around 10am or so. Was telling mom about it because growing up I never remember it being like this and just figured with a north wind it had to be Canada, she said it was never like it has been these last few years.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fires of last summer over-wintered very well, but I don't know all the details on why. Basically, they sat and simmered all winter, and now with the warmth of spring they are taking off again. The Canadians referred to them as zombie fires.
Zombie fires, also known as overwintering or holdover fires, are wildfires that smolder underground through the winter and reemerge in the spring, appearing to rise from the dead. This phenomenon is facilitated by the fire's ability to burn slowly in organic layers beneath the snow, such as in peat or old, carbon-rich soils, and can occur after a wildfire has seemingly been extinguished on the surface. These fires can contribute to the total burn area in forests, particularly in the Arctic Circle, where they have been found to make up a significant portion of the total burned area in certain years. They are a concern due to their potential to release large amounts of carbon into the atmosphere, their ability to reignite early in the spring, extending the active fire season, and their potential to become more common in the future due to climate change (which leads to warmer temperatures and more favorable conditions for wildfires).

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zombie fires, also known as overwintering or holdover fires, are wildfires that smolder underground through the winter and reemerge in the spring, appearing to rise from the dead. This phenomenon is facilitated by the fire's ability to burn slowly in organic layers beneath the snow, such as in peat or old, carbon-rich soils, and can occur after a wildfire has seemingly been extinguished on the surface. These fires can contribute to the total burn area in forests, particularly in the Arctic Circle, where they have been found to make up a significant portion of the total burned area in certain years. They are a concern due to their potential to release large amounts of carbon into the atmosphere, their ability to reignite early in the spring, extending the active fire season, and their potential to become more common in the future due to climate change (which leads to warmer temperatures and more favorable conditions for wildfires).
How can they not have some back burns, or forest management. Seems they dont really give a fuck as the smoke is an American problem. Cant we sue for them screwing up our air, and another summer?

Logging was prevalent back in the day, as generations ago they weren't climate retarded. Logging and forest management is the best thing there is for our environment. Stupid tree hugging losers.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 203
  • This month: 168
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58