Spear fishing

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
New topic: what's everyone's favorite technique when spear fishing?
I only went spear fishing a few times and only in Minnesota when I lived in Detroit lakes, i went with a couple of classmates who liked to spear after class. I sure wish I still had my old phone that I took pic on but unfortunately that phone is sitting at the bottom of North six mile bay.

Anyways the guys I speared with had those 4x8 drop down shacks with 2 holes for spearing both 2x3 and set up using homemade spears that were custom made with forks you used for potatoes. Heavy bastards but they had those spears fastened to the ceiling in such a way that all you had to do was pull a trigger and the spear would drop down only a few inches and spear the fish. The first time I seen a musky come in next to long bridge in Detroit lakes scared gave me such a rush as well as many large walleye and pike.

They used huge suckers that were fastened into a harness that and they would cut fish to make it bleed. The blood would bring all kinds of different fish into site,. One guy used egg shells and the other used ping pong balls, I guess rules are only used as guidelines and rarely enforced. You only fishing in 2 to 3 feet of water, so the white was so you could spear.at night.
Fun times

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alot of relatives in central Minnesota so got alot of spear fishing in really clear lakes certain times of year. Tried a little bit in ND just do damn dirty where I tried.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Done it a few times thanks to KDM and Kickumup. One lesson I learned the hard way was throw/push that spear like you mean it and bury them in the mud, I lost my brain on a huge pike once when I was with KDM, hit it square in the head and you could hear the ting the spear made so basically I forgot where to aim and just dropped the spear on him. After that I got pretty good at picking my shots. It's a blast when you have activity to watch besides just pike, I equate it to a mix of bow hunting and watching a campfire (maybe KDM said this to me).

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alot of relatives in central Minnesota so got alot of spear fishing in really clear lakes certain times of year. Tried a little bit in ND just do damn dirty where I tried.
That is why you use something lighter to break up the background, it's much easier to see a shadow like a northern with a lighter background. If you didn't want to use golf balls, you could use rocks that are painted.
Done it a few times thanks to KDM and Kickumup. One lesson I learned the hard way was throw/push that spear like you mean it and bury them in the mud, I lost my brain on a huge pike once when I was with KDM, hit it square in the head and you could hear the ting the spear made so basically I forgot where to aim and just dropped the spear on him. After that I got pretty good at picking my shots. It's a blast when you have activity to watch besides just pike, I equate it to a mix of bow hunting and watching a campfire (maybe KDM said this to me).
That's why the guys I speared with used a homemade spears because they were heavier. The way they hung the spear from the ceiling was so that they didn't have to hold that heavy spear/fork. The release was heavy duty so that it could take the abuse of holding to the fork for long periods of time. I'm no expert I'm just posting my few experiences spear fishing with people who had years experience. And yes it was fun watching other fish come through while waiting for some snot rockets.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88