Starting to go a little overbord

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been out of the loop because I didn't think it was close to me but it's closing in from the north and scattered within a years reach from all directions .

https://www.qdma.com/this-cwd-map-spells-trouble-future-deer-hunting/

qdma-cwd-wisconsin-map.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s time to ban baiting and tell deer to quit herding up and touching noses

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
By the looks of that map above..Michigan looks like a fine place to hunt deer...NOT

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm having a hard time reading some of that. I think it says updated May 2015. I would have guessed it was even older since they are missing some areas.
This is the last I could find: https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/ofr20171138
I'm wondering if some states are not reporting. I thought there were two game farms in Kentucky and Tennessee.

This was published by the group that used to be the national disease center for wildlife, and part of the USFW. They did some research so were transferred to USGS by Bill Clinton. Their role for wildlife is much like the CDC is for humans.

It's now in Texas. Texas is full of game farms. Watch Texas.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any dumpster of a business who has wronged you.

Why would you think that is acceptable? Would you like it dumped in your yard? We have had idiots that have dumped fish guts and carcasses in our jobsite dumpsters and we end up getting It hauled away before it is full because of the stink which cost us $ 325.00

Take it to the landfill .

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would you think that is acceptable? Would you like it dumped in your yard? We have had idiots that have dumped fish guts and carcasses in our jobsite dumpsters and we end up getting It hauled away before it is full because of the stink which cost us $ 325.00

I thought the sarcasm was obvious, I'll try harder next time.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the map Davey. That is actually a map of zip codes or sportsmen who traveled to Wisconsin's CWD hot zones. It's not a map of harvested positives.

CWD was diagnosed 51 years ago by Dr. Beth Williams at a government research facility doing nutritional studies on cervids. Before that no one knew what it was and afterward they didn't how it spread. Parts of Wyoming and Colorado are endemic. Take the zip codes of sportsmen who hunted in Colorado/Wyoming hot zones over the last fifty years, harvested elk/deer and returned home with the carcass. All of the USA would be one big red dot.

- - - Updated - - -

It's in Arkansas, hunters play big role in control:

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/apr/24/state-hunters-play-big-role-in-controll/

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member

Where is your work location? Asking for a friend (Bfishn).

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone else think that the cwd scare is just that? Are we just looking for it harder now? Any documentation of it wiping out entire herds of deer? Actually asking. If I had to guess hired government sharpshooters have killed more deer than cwd but that’s just a guess

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
By the looks of that map above..Michigan looks like a fine place to hunt deer...NOT

Wisconsin is the state located east (to the right) of Minnesota. If that’s what you meant

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
CWD is like ANS we all will have to deal with it sooner or later but if we do our part it will be later I hope.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else think that the cwd scare is just that? Are we just looking for it harder now? Any documentation of it wiping out entire herds of deer? Actually asking. If I had to guess hired government sharpshooters have killed more deer than cwd but that’s just a guess

they wiped the mule deer herd out in Colorado thinking that would take care of it guess it did not and the herd is still not recovered

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crap like global warming has made us all skeptical. There are those who think gloom and doom, and there are those who think it's just a big scare. I think we need to treat it like zebra mussels because so far we don't know enough to take chances or ignore it. I'm not aware of any hired gov sharpshooters, but I would like to know where to find an application for that. When I was still working I did have an offer for $50K for the month of October in a large eastern city. If I had been retired at the time I would have done it. Animal rights video you at all times so the contract called for subsonic, suppressor, and head shots only. No pick up since city employees would body bag and carry away.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean, thanks for pointing out the change in the 3F2 regulations. Like as in previous years, I probably would have brought the stupid head back to Bismarck, turned it in at the NDGF, and got cited for a violation. We usually skin and quarter our deer as close to where we can drive with the pickup. Buddy has a hoist that fits in the receiver so we can hoist it off the ground. It only makes sense now that we will have to shoot the critter, tag it, process it, and leave the tagged head laying on the ground. Seems to me that proof of sex and species could be an issue with out the head, balls, udder, or vulva accompanying the meat. A little input from the NDGF might be requisite here!

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have hunted that 3F2 a few times when not drawn in my other areas of choice. Each time I have hunted out there I have harvested a doe, and quartered the animal and left the head hide and main bone structure in the unit at my site of hunting with tag attached. I always GPS the location that I left the remains of the animal after quartering. When I was contacted by the G&F that a doe I had shot had CWD I went in to meet with biologists about the information and location on my kill. I gave them the GPS coordinates of the carcass and that was fine with them, they actually were just going to have me show them on a map where all the info was. I have never had to worry about harvesting a buck because I have only hunted there as a option after not being drawn in the regular lotteries so I cant give much info on how best to handle a buck harvest there. The year I harvested the deer with CWD the individuals I dealt with at G&F giving info were very easy to talk to and deal with. CWD is out there and we just have to try to deal with it the best we and the G&F can and will never satisfy everyone in how it is handled. I for one believe the G&F is doing the best they can with the information they have. dukgnfsn

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Crap like global warming has made us all skeptical. There are those who think gloom and doom, and there are those who think it's just a big scare. I think we need to treat it like zebra mussels because so far we don't know enough to take chances or ignore it. I'm not aware of any hired gov sharpshooters, but I would like to know where to find an application for that. When I was still working I did have an offer for $50K for the month of October in a large eastern city. If I had been retired at the time I would have done it. Animal rights video you at all times so the contract called for subsonic, suppressor, and head shots only. No pick up since city employees would body bag and carry away.

Uhhhh you basically google cwd and several articles pop up about states hiring sharpshooters to wipe out areas of deer because of a positive test(s)... and also 50k for a month of work sounds good to me! And also pretty outlandish government spending!

- - - Updated - - -

For someone so informed on the issue you seem very uninformed

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
dukgnfsn- just curious as to how they knew your deer had CWD? What did they test? Thanks

Sorry for the confusion,you are correct, I did take the head for testing and dropped it at the collection site in Bismarck, and left the spine and ribs and such. that was a misprint on my part. If you hunt those units now there are collection points set up in the units in question. Sorry for the confusion on that and glad someone called me on that so it clears it up. At the time I shot this deer you were able to bring the head to ND G&F for testing, that was a number of years ago. so to reiterate I do turn in the head for testing now at a collection site in the unit and GPS where the rest of the carcass is located. Haven't hunted there for a few year and typing got ahead of my thoughts. Hope this clears that up. dukgnfsn

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93