Starting to go a little overbord

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry for the confusion,you are correct, I did take the head for testing and dropped it at the collection site in Bismarck, and left the spine and ribs and such. that was a misprint on my part. If you hunt those units now there are collection points set up in the units in question. Sorry for the confusion on that and glad someone called me on that so it clears it up. At the time I shot this deer you were able to bring the head to ND G&F for testing, that was a number of years ago. so to reiterate I do turn in the head for testing now at a collection site in the unit and GPS where the rest of the carcass is located. Haven't hunted there for a few year and typing got ahead of my thoughts. Hope this clears that up. dukgnfsn

Does Carson have a head collection place?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Uhhhh you basically google cwd and several articles pop up about states hiring sharpshooters to wipe out areas of deer because of a positive test(s)... and also 50k for a month of work sounds good to me! And also pretty outlandish government spending!
The job I was talking about was a city contract. I always think Fed and state when someone says gov, but I guess city qualifies. The job I spoke of was simply population control, and unlike common sense here in North Dakota they will not even consider a special hunt. When the question was asked I immediately thought of the special hunt in Roosevelt National Park to reduce elk numbers. How foolish to pay money instead of make money in these situations. It however has no bearing on the seriousness of CWD.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The job I was talking about was a city contract. I always think Fed and state when someone says gov, but I guess city qualifies. The job I spoke of was simply population control, and unlike common sense here in North Dakota they will not even consider a special hunt. When the question was asked I immediately thought of the special hunt in Roosevelt National Park to reduce elk numbers. How foolish to pay money instead of make money in these situations. It however has no bearing on the seriousness of CWD.

So some city actually offered to pay you 50,000 dollars for a month of shooting deer?

- - - Updated - - -

I can send you many many links where entire populations have been wiped out from hired shooters. Can’t really find anything where there’s mass die offs from cwd...

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does Carson have a head collection place?
https://gf.nd.gov/wildlife/diseases/cwd/surveillance

Carson had a collection point last year at the local hardware store in town. Also Glen Ullin, Elgin(x2), Hettinger, and New Lipzig had collection points. Closer to rifle season the G&F will come out with a list of this years collections points in the state. Here is last years list of last years collection points https://gf.nd.gov/wildlife/diseases/cwd/surveillance dukgnfsn

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://gf.nd.gov/wildlife/diseases/cwd/surveillance

Carson had a collection point last year at the local hardware store in town. Also Glen Ullin, Elgin(x2), Hettinger, and New Lipzig had collection points. Closer to rifle season the G&F will come out with a list of this years collections points in the state. Here is last years list of last years collection points https://gf.nd.gov/wildlife/diseases/cwd/surveillance dukgnfsn
You'd think the GNF would have this information updated for 2018 since we are into bow season already. Always behind the times it seems.....

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's the rub the game and fish is setting these regulations based on older information and if they follow their own line of thinking they'll have to update to the reality that CWD eventually spreads to the bones and muscle mass of the deer. By that very fact they would theoretically have to shut down hunting in those units permanently for no muscle, bone or any part of a deer could be transported out and it's only a matter of time before it hits all the other units as well. So that would eliminate 3F2 and every grey County on that map which is needless to say a pretty big chunk of ground that's ever growing.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
So some city actually offered to pay you 50,000 dollars for a month of shooting deer?
The man they had the contract with offered me that job working for him. He had a third city contract him, but couldn't handle it alone. Shooting was from a cherry picker to give a downward angle and stop ricochet. I was getting permission to survey his restored wetlands in southern Minnesota. As I was pulling paper work out of my pocket a target from back home slipped out and fell to the ground. He asked if I shot that group, what cartridge and what range. He then asked my interest in working for him.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else think that the cwd scare is just that? Are we just looking for it harder now? Any documentation of it wiping out entire herds of deer? Actually asking. If I had to guess hired government sharpshooters have killed more deer than cwd but that’s just a guess
Interestingly I was just reading an article that was fairly old came out in 2013 talking about the slow motion disaster of CWD. But in it they made a point to talk about specifically eastern Wyoming and the fact that that region has a positive rate of between 40 and 50% of the herd. They also made the point that this is the area where we can see what will happen because that same area had also seen their numbers cut in half over a 12-year period. they blame this primarily on CWD. Unfortunately for that article apparently the climactic conditions that were the real cause of the problem ended in 2013 and the herds have been rapidly growing ever since and in some cases overshooting management objectives specifically the Black Hills. So if that's the worst case scenario they're definitely having trouble with their scenarios!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88