Strangest thing you've ever caught...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a kid I was cleaning out the boat after we got home from fishing and had set all the rods on the ground and there must have still been a minnow on one hook because after a while there was a big commotion and all I could see is line peeling off one of the rods as it was scooting across the yard. The old man heard it and came running and grabbed the rod and that's when I saw a cat spin around. Dad sent me after his leather gloves and when I got back he was just getting close enough close enough to have Mom throw throw a jacket over the cat and get ahold of it. In those days every farmer had a pliers pocket with a little pliers in it so it only took a second to get ahold of the hook and take it out of the cats mouth. I felt bad for the cat and cried and was pisd because the old man thought it was funny.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big piece of coal from Sak. Actually buddy caught it. Fought well for a chunk of coal. A clothes hanger, snapping turtle and a strange sucker in the tailrace. Released it and went to the fish hatchery to ask game warden what it was. Was called a blue quill sucker fish, He said they were rare here.
Pulled up a chunk of old waterlogged 2x4 over an Indian gravesite on Sak too. That was in the early 90's It was attached to what I presume were stairs or a fence leading up the hill to the graves.? Not sure, just a redneck guess

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of catching things, Reprobait did anyone claim the loomis you caught by Stanton? I catch snags all the time,:mad:;;;;;;; but I even legally snagged a 2 pound perch last fall.:;:rockit

Goose Slayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
20130216_152345.jpg
Caught this little guy ice fishing

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Y'all know...these crawfish up here probably taste a little better than those harvested out of hot dead assed stagnant LA swamp....as y'all say; just sayin'...Ok back to the high strangeness.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thought I had a huge eye on fishin the river this summer. Was jigging and laced into a fish. It started fighting and peeling line like crazy. Started to run upstream and I didn't want to horse it so threw boat in gear and slowly headed upstream. Finally got it up to top and here it was a large sucker, but that was not all. Noticed there was another jig in its mouth with line attached. Grabbed the line and there was another fish on it! Started pulling in the line and about a 5 pound sturgeon was attached. Definitely an odd catch!

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
This spring while sturgeon fishing on the Rainy I snagged a line and when i pulled it in there was a nice Fenwick rod & Pflueger reel. Don't know how long it was down there, but i cleaned it up and oiled it and it works great. Not a bad $150 combo, made up for the crappy weather and lack of sturgeon.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught what i thought was a human hair when i pulled my crank out of a snag in Sheep Creek many many years ago. Hair was wedged between the bottom of where the treble hooks come together. Notified authorities and they began dragging the bottom of the lake in the SW corner there. Nothing ever came of it.

Caught a 15 inch or so walleye out of the Missouri right here in Bismarck/Mandan. Nothing weird about that other than the bulge in its gut. Imagine someone tossed the chicken drumstick over while on a cruise in the riverboat...

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
An ice fishing rod when in the boat and one when ice fishing buddy lost that rod down the hole the weekend before from the wind. A pair of woman undies in the Sheyenne. A couple thin ice flags

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught all sorts of weird crap. Caught a cat in the yard when I was a kid with cabin fever casting crank baits in the yard one spring. SOB took off like a bat out of hell and broke the line and mom made me go tell the neighbor lady( you would think the wife of a fishermen would be more understanding)! Few birds ...seagulls a greb and a number of terns but like was listed above my favorite was 3/4 of an old bufflo scull from up in the vanhook arm.

Oh and two fish on stringers....one on a metal one that I snaged the stringer and the other on one of the nylon ones that actually bit the line well we were fishing the reel and rec tournament. Luckily we were surrounded by other tournament boats that attested to the fact that it was legal catch!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing the Red alone one day, I hooked into a MONSTER fish. I couldn't turn it to save my life and ended up pulling the anchor to chase it. Adrenaline had me shaking so hard, I fought this thing for a good 30 minutes. HUGE fish - had to be a record cat.

Turns out 15 lb carp fight like a jet plane when 50 lb spider line wraps around the serrated dorsal fin. Never did hook it - simply wrapped enough to land it after such a long fight. Never been so disappointed in my life!

I've also caught the apparently common rod/reel, crayfish, clam, seagull, and muskrat. Now that I think of it - just about everything OTHER than fish....

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was casting cranks in the middle of the night on a full moon and just casted out when I noticed a hawk flying along the river, thought to myself what is that hawk flying around in the middle of the night for; What, that's not a hawk that's a owl shit diving to get my crank tried to reel down didn't work pick up my crank and start to fly away I held the line to get it to let go snapped me off. I was hoping it didn't get tangled up.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught a bat while fly fishing. Thought I had snagged a branch or something on my back cast. Turned around to see a bat flitting around on the end of my line. Reeled in to the leader and cut him free.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught what i thought was a human hair when i pulled my crank out of a snag in Sheep Creek many many years ago. Hair was wedged between the bottom of where the treble hooks come together. Notified authorities and they began dragging the bottom of the lake in the SW corner there. Nothing ever came of it.

That gives me the creeps just thinking about it! Haha

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught a hardhat in the gulf covered in oil sludge during that BP Deepwater Horizon disaster that had an angler fish in it. I didnt think about it till later, the chance that hard hat may have belonged to one of the rig wokers in the explosion.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33