Study: Public lands bolster state’s economy

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was out to Medora this week-end and things are green, green, green. I was checking in and they had this Extreme Fire Danger warning at the campground. I said that must be an old sign. She said no. I looked up the U S standardized fire assessment and it was moderate, not even high. I said that can't be right and showed her the web site. She said out county commissioners use different standards. Ya I'll bet they do.
So went out to shoot some prairie dogs. Lady stopped and said there was also a shooting ban. She said you can only shoot public land. I said this is public land. She asked if I was sure. I said yup. She was a nice lady not being a smart ass, but rather just trying to keep me out of trouble. I had a nice visit with her, but visited to long. The dogs were spooky and they all went down. Waited a few minutes and the wife said she was getting to warm. So I gave up and headed back to town. About half way to town the scanner says there is smoke at such at a land description that sounded familiar. Checked the map and it was the dog town I was on. The next day we drove up to see if anything had actually burned. I was a little afraid some rancher had dropped a match to give a hunter a bad time. Nope, not a blade of grass burned. I wonder how he explained that to the three fire trucks I met headed north?

I'll throw in a picture in the park so you can see how nice and green things are now. Not much fire danger for at least another week or two. _MG_6739.jpg

Even the dog towns were as green as a new spring lawn. _MG_6740.jpg

Oh the lady said county commissioners she thought were afraid that a bullet hitting a rock might cause sparks. Ignorant people shouldn't be making important decisions. They may want to try starting a fire with flint and lead or copper. These public lands are important to North Dakota's economy.

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suspect the "burn ban" designation is becoming like the "no travel advised" designation... The deciding powers are too worried about liability combine that with reckless, common sense missing individuals and the innocent bystander cupcakes.... pretty soon it will be bubble wrap at birth and don't do anything, ever... SMH, FML

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Commissioned by the group Business for Montana’s Outdoors, the study showed the five fastest-growing counties in the state have the highest percentage of the lands protected for public use.
That's just one of many interesting facts. Great article BBQBluesman thanks for sharing it.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
From their website. Sounds okay. So my question here is what is okay for businesses on these public lands and what is going to be labeled "greed"?

"Business for Montana's Outdoors"

[COLOR=rgba(112, 112, 112, 0.88)]Recognizing that public lands provide Montana a business advantage, several of Montana’s leading businesses have launched [/COLOR]Business for Montana’s Outdoors[COLOR=rgba(112, 112, 112, 0.88)], to ensure this legacy inspires tomorrow’s entrepreneurs. The Council advocates for the preservation of our outdoor heritage through common-sense policy and collaboration, raising awareness about the role Montana’s public lands play in providing a competitive advantage to our state’s economy.

[/COLOR]

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39