Tar remover

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the wife's car got plastered with tar. I'm talking tiny spots of tar all over the car top to bottom. Anyone have any ideas of anything that works better than bug and tar remover? This will be the last white vehicle I ever buy, love white but it shows absolutely everything.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
WD-40 is something I know a few highway workers used to clean tar off of stuff, like their boots. Should work on a car as well and be non-harmful to the finish. May want to test in a hidden spot first though.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Solvent will take it off. If you don't have access to solvent, use diesel fuel or a cleaner called Super Clean (made by castrol in a purple bottle, sold everywhere)

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
3M Adhesive remover will make the tar run right off. We use it at work and it is amazing. All you need is a dry rag to wipe off. Then once tar is removed we just wash the truck and done.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clean safe being we run a chip seal and paving crew we need to get asphalt off of vehicle's

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
3m adhesive remover or laquer thinner on a rag....be careful with the laquer thinner and keep it off plastic moldings n such.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wife got into the tar last summer so bad that it just dripped off out of the wheel wells on to the driveway. Kind of like undercoating only free. Its her back and forth work car with 200th. miles so what the hell just leave it on. Will see what lasts longer, the tar or the car.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just good old mineral spirits will take it off and no harm to the paint

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Carb cleaner works really well also. Used this many times and never had an issue with the paint fading or coming off. Used a white rag and my pickup is red and was no red residue on the rag.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Citrol!!! I deal with the nastiest of tars for a living. Citrol!!!

buy online or truck stops etc. safe for all plastics/paints wash off with water melts tar like magic smells fantastic

CITROL!!!

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what clean safe is we just buy it in 250 gallon containers. It works great

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years back working at a detail shop all we used was stanisol(parts cleaner/solvent), ran right off, may need a bug sponge to help tougher areas

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member

buy online or truck stops etc. safe for all plastics/paints wash off with water melts tar like magic smells fantastic

CITROL!!!

attachment.php
We also have used Citrol for years and it works well and doesn't harm the finish. Should wash right afterwards though.
We ordered it by the case from our old Schaeffer's dealer.
Anyone know a Schaeffer's dealer in Bismarck/Mandan? We moved here and will need to find a dealer in area. We also use their diesel fuel additive and will need another case of it next year.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/citrol-cleaner-degreaser.html

Last edited:

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well thanks for all the input gents. WD40 didn't work all that well so used some carb cleaner and it worked like a dream. :;:rockit

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member

CITROL!!!

attachment.php
We also have used Citrol for years and it works well and doesn't harm the finish. Should wash right afterwards though.
We ordered it by the case from our old Schaeffer's dealer.
Anyone know a Schaeffer's dealer in Bismarck/Mandan? We moved here and will need to find a dealer in area. We also use their diesel fuel additive and will need another case of it next year.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/citrol-cleaner-degreaser.html[/QUOTE

Napa on Main, according to their website.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33