Thank You!

Buzzkill

Posting this here is a long shot but maybe my thanks will find its way to the persons involved. If nothing else it is worth sharing a positive story about our fellow sportsman.

I want to sincerely thank the two gentlemen and lady that were kind enough to tow my boat back to the dock this morning at Beaver Bay-Lake Oahe.

I lost power to my engine suddenly while traveling south out of Beaver Bay. I tried and checked everything I could think of (battery, fuses, wiring harnesses, manual start etc.) before finally giving up on getting the motor started. I tried to limp back to the dock with my trolling motor and made it about 4 miles into a pretty stiff side wind until the trolling motor batteries were dead. The wind had picked up and I was dead in the water. I have never had this happen to me before, what an incredibly horrible feeling.

Out of options at this point, I waved down the fist passerby for assistance and luckily enough they were willing to give me a tow back to the dock. It was windy, and the lake was rough but we were able to safely reach the dock and get my boat loaded.

I easily cost these guys two hours of fishing time this morning, not to mention all the potential dangers that come with towing another boat into the ramp/dock in high winds. After all their help and assistance, the younger gentlemen wouldn't accept the very little cash I had in my wallet as my self admittedly pitiful offer of thanks.

These folks were in a black and white Skeeter (I think) with a 150HP Suzuki and I believe the drivers name was Tim. There is nothing I can do to thank these people enough. I was in a bad spot and they saved my ass big time.

If anybody knows who these folks are please pass along my sincerest thanks. I will do my best to pay it forward and show others the kindness I was offered today. If I am ever able to meet these people again, drinks are on me and thanks again!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Something POSITIVE for a change!!! Thanks for posting and Thanks to the kind folks who were willing to help!!!

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing worse than being helpless out on the water. It must have felt pretty sweet to get the first ship coming by to help you out. I've done a little towing in my day and even hopped out of the boat to get some people off of a sandbar. It's a good feeling to help someone out in hopes of someday, that person paying it forward as well. Hopefully you found out what was wrong with your motor and are back on the water.

This one story of mine kinda ticked me off. Couple guys up against the bank down by the state pen land. Out of gas so they told me. Tossed them a line and pulled them into Fox Island. Got them up against the dock, they tried starting the boat; fired right up. They proceeded to power load it and away they went. GRRRRR oh well!! There are all kinds out there.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great story. Glad to hear about the kindness of others. I have helped a few people in distress myself, and been helped out too. Feels good on both sides, but better when you are the one helping.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Posting this here is a long shot but maybe my thanks will find its way to the persons involved. If nothing else it is worth sharing a positive story about our fellow sportsman.

Posting here wasn't as big of a long shot as you might think. I sent your post to the other two people involved. We were all glad we could help. Just hope whatever was wrong with your motor is a cheap easy fix. Hopefully this is the only time this happens to you but if it isn't, maybe next time don't jump in the water. Haha. ;)

Buzzkill

Well I guess I underestimated the reach of a post on NDA. I'm sure glad you guys were so willing to help me out and thanks a great deal for passing my comments onto the other two individuals.

The boat is at the shop tomorrow so we will see what the issue is. That motor has been bullet proof as long as I've owned it, never had one issue with it until Sunday. Motor, gauges, power trim, everything just shut-off as I was crossing the lake at about 30 mph. I originally thought I had bumped the key with my knee and turned the motor off, I quickly found out that wasn't the case.

I had no problem getting in the water to ensure we got tied up to the dock safely. With the wind blowing like that the last thing I wanted was someone getting hurt trying to help me out. Little did I know you guys were seasoned professionals at towing and docking broken down rigs. I had to get in the water to get the boat loaded on the trailer anyway so no big deal other than some soggy shoes for a couple hours.

Marbleyes, thank you sincerely for your help. I will not forget what you guys did for me. I'm glad my comments made their way back to you because they were definitely deserved.

Take Care.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK, I'll ask the captain obvious question. Did you make sure you're kill switch was engaged and not tripped?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK, I'll ask the captain obvious question. Did you make sure you're kill switch was engaged and not tripped?

Ha ha ha. I wondered that too.

Been there done that.... Found it after a minute or two of panic.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondered same, so many times have I forgot about it,haha. I did have a kill switch go bad once, disconnected it at motor and it fired back up. Kill switch should not have killed power trim, etc... though. Glad it ended well!

Maybe a bad ignition switch at the console....

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
GREAT story and truly what being a sportsman is all about.

On another note (and not a dig by any means Buzzkill), does anyone else own and carry a paddle? I've been up the creek without one and if nothing else it gives me an option. Kinda clumsy in the boat, I know, but an option depending on your boat setup.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always carried a paddle or two in the boat. Better to have and not need than need and not have. Never did use it/them for rowing that is. Useful paddle is the one with the hook on the handle to help at the dock for reaching the dock and pulling the boat in closer if need be. Doesn't take up too much room storing them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5