Tough little buggers

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't believe how tough deer are. Watched one get smoked on 43rd in Bismarck this morning. The speed limit is 45 there, so I am assuming the person was doing around 45 or 50. The thing flew in the air and across the ditch I don't know how many feet (cleared the entire ditch), landed on the railroad tracks, bounced a few times then slid along the tracks for a while. To my surprise the little bugger got up and took off running again. Not even a limp.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kinda like taking a helmet on the thigh..... get up like it didnt hurt and keep on running. play out the game knowing full well your gunna hurt like a mother f’er the next day.

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have first hand experience in something like this as well. Heading back to NDSU for school, I was driving down Highway 12 going about 70 and a doe jumped out of the ditch on my passenger side. Saw her just a half-second prior to the impending impact. She hit the front fender on the passenger side with a giant THUD and just cartwheeled end over end behind the car and into the ditch.

I stopped and got out and walked back to where she had fallen and by the time I was half way there she stood up and just hopped away, just like you said, not even a limp.

I always wonder what type of internal damage a deer takes with hits like this--- no telling if they'll make it long if their bleeding internally, but they sure don't seem to suffer much musculoskeletal damage.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I was riding with my buddy in his pickup when he hit a moose. Totaled the pickup. The moose got up and walked away like nothing happened.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hit a deer pretty hard that was running down a gravel road and knocked it end over end. It sat on the shoulder of the road for a few minutes while I got out and went around the front of my van to check for damage. After sitting there for a few minutes looking around it got up and trotted down the ditch into a corn field and disappeared. I couldn't believe it was still alive much less able to move but it was. I mentioned it to my uncle later that fall that I hit a deer by his corn field but it got up and ran off. He said it didn't run far cause he found it a few rows in when he chopped the corn. Pretty sure most deer that get hit and then get up and run away probably die shortly afterward.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31