Towing question

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
my question is when you see that f350 in the parking lot -- no fifth in the box and an empty paint still on it slot for the receiver and the box isnt all scratched up. It makes you wonder
Buys a shit load of grocery's .

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
my question is when you see that f350 in the parking lot -- no fifth in the box and an empty paint still on it slot for the receiver and the box isnt all scratched up. It makes you wonder

What exactly are you wondering about?

Are you curious as to why you give a shit about what anyone else drives? Because, I am.

rapala_09

Honored Member

my question is when somebody posts a statement that doesn't ask anything and I need to read it three times to be sure I didn't miss something.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Agree. Why spend that coin and put up with rough ride if not using for intended purpose? Makes me wonder too.

- - - Updated - - -

Hauls a shit load of grocery's .
fixed it

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've had just about everything for work vehicles, including tacomas, frontiers, f-150s, chevy 1500's with both the 4.8 and the 5.3. The newer chevy 1500 pickups will get 20+ MPG on the highway with no load. The tacomas and frontiers are around 17. both of the smaller pickups have short wheel bases, or it seems like it anyway, and ride worse than a horse. they are just not comfortable for me.

I agree with most everyone else, get a half ton. you want a better ride, get a chevy. you want more of a "truck" feel - go with the f150. i've driven both and would consider them both if i was buying new or next to new. i don't know much about Tundra or Titan, but there is a bunch of them around.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
My question is this isn’t a question. Follow up question, what does “an empty paint still on it slot” mean? Is that code, or did you get kicked by a mule right before typing?

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for all the input and points, lots to think about on my end. I wish a full sized truck didnt cost so dam much! One of the main attraction, aside from garage space to the Frontier is you can get into an 2018 with 15,000 miles on it for about $20,000, same full sized f150 is $35,000 or more.

Does anyone have a good explanation why they even make a 2 wheel drive truck these days? Just seems silly to me....

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member

My question is when you see that corvette or other sports car not driving 100+mph or doing burn outs. It makes you wonder.

I have a 3/4 ton pickup and probably only pull a trailer 10 times a year. I have it because I like having it Thumbs Up

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My question is when you see that corvette or other sports car not driving 100+mph or doing burn outs. It makes you wonder.

I have a 3/4 ton pickup and probably only pull a trailer 10 times a year. I have it because I like having it Thumbs Up

weirdo! :;:howdy

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the input and points, lots to think about on my end. I wish a full sized truck didnt cost so dam much! One of the main attraction, aside from garage space to the Frontier is you can get into an 2018 with 15,000 miles on it for about $20,000, same full sized f150 is $35,000 or more.

Does anyone have a good explanation why they even make a 2 wheel drive truck these days? Just seems silly to me....

https://eideford.com/sale/used-ford-f150-xlt-bismarck-nd/2018-ford-f150-xlt-1ftex1ep7jkd81364

Oh yeah, the 2WD versions are common fleet vehicles being used for parts delivery. NAPA etc. They don't see any off-roading, but need the bed space.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
And the haters hate --- i luv it just like FBO days.

Have a good day haters:;:thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

https://eideford.com/sale/used-ford-f150-xlt-bismarck-nd/2018-ford-f150-xlt-1ftex1ep7jkd81364

Why buy used - practically the same price --- your just asking for trouble --- i just had a 400 dollar cam go on my ford -- turbos needed to be recalibrated i dont remember what they charged warranty on that.

https://www.lutherfamilyford.com/sp...fHSWen7l6R2C74NBRB2-VOgSioCxCjgRoC0hwQAvD_BwE

tacoma reliability and resale is going to be higher.

Here is the depreciation summary :

1. Toyota Tacoma, 29.5 percent
  2. Toyota Tundra, 37.1
  3. Honda Ridgeline, 37.2
  4. Nissan Frontier, 37.8
  5. Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 39.7
  6. GMC Sierra 1500, 39.9
  7. Ram 1500, 42.7
  8. Ford F-150, 44.1
  9. Nissan Titan, 44.7

So dont run to fast to the ford store.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member

There is a reason for this, and when you need to sell it in three years because your kids are now to big to fit in the back seat you wont get much for it either. Buy once, cry once on a half ton and have a vehicle for your family for the next decade, it will be cheaper in the end.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Mine's only an F250. No 5er hitch. Pulled plenty on the receiver but it's not scuffed up much as I don't take the draw-bar in/out a lot.

I bought my 1st diesel as a Weiner-enhancement when work at the time mandated I drive their Prius. I got attached to the wider cab and effortless towing. Drop whatever you want on the ball, set the cruise wherever you want and just drive. 9yrs and over 200K Mi between my 2 F250's and pretty much no regret.

OP, w/3 kids 7-10 you're in 1/2 ton pickup mode, especially only putting on 5k/yr, you can keep the 1/2 ton for a very long time. Don't worry about which brand of pickup you buy, they all make good ones, they all have lemons. Pick out the dealership/service dept you want to deal with. Or, if buying used, just find the deal that fits your wallet and needs the best.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
depreciation numbers nationwide --- as part of my business i see a lot of vehicle deals ---- i would be curious to see where your numbers come from -- please rebut if you have a different source and a different chart. I think i pulled that from pickup something .com or something like that; my experience has not been that a ford outshines a little foreign job on a trade - depreciation from full price as a percentage.

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member

I bought a dakota in 2015 for the reasons stated above. I wish I would have gotten a half ton right away. I am now looking to upgrade for the additional space

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
I imagine I wont be pulling every weekend, likely a few times for each thing a year and relatively short dissonances. The Kia just cant handle pulling otherwise I would just stick with that. I have 3 kids but they range from 7-10 so they should fit in back just fine. When I was referring to gas mileage it was unloaded driving, not pulling. I really only drive around 5,000 miles on my personal rig a year so not sure how much gas mileage matters.

I have a 13 F150 for work and thing really eats the gas, havent figured it out but guessing 15 or so on the highway. My neighbor pulls a 18 foot enclosed trailer all over with his frontier loaded with 5000 lbs and said he hardly feels it back there.

Correct me if i'm wrong, Frontier and Tacoma pull about 7000 lbs and half tons pull 9-10,000?

I was looking at Tacomas before I bought my Tundra a few months ago. For the same reasons you stated. I did the math on the fuel economy, the size of the box and interior, the prices of Tacomas VS Tundras, and the resale, and when I was done the Tacoma made no sense.

NO. WAY. I would consider pulling anywhere close to 7K with a Taco. I think the max on them is about 6800# and the way most are equipped the max is maybe 5K and I personally think that is a HUUUUGE stretch. I cant imagine being hit with a ND sized side crosswind pulling even a 20' travel trailer with a Tacoma. My ass puckers sometimes pulling my 14' enclosed trailer with my tundra.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Much like SDMF, I also own an F250 diesel. Why? Because I damn well want to.

For years I drove half ton pickups, and I beat the living crap out of them because I was often up against or slightly above the max towing and/or hauling capacities. Now I drive a 3/4 ton and still tow/haul the same loads. After 130k miles she still drives and feels the same as the day I drove it off the lot.

My point behind this is that not only is it none of the window-lickers of the world's concern what I drive, but buying something that just barely meets the minimum is a sure recipe for beating the hell out of it and wearing it out faster than you will probably like. Getting something that easily meets and exceeds your needs is a good recipe for enjoying it for a really long time.

I'd only really worry about Short's depreciation chart if I didn't plan on holding onto something until it was 8-15 years old. If'n you want to play the trade-in game every 3-4 years, then that would be something I'd be far more concerned about.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88