Trail Cams

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just put 5 trail cams on public land in a completely new area to me. How often should I check them? I was thinking about leaving them alone for 2 or 3 weeks before checking and shuffling around the ones that don't have anything on them.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hope they are high in trees looking down or I suspect you will NOT find your cameras upon your return to the area. With it being SO EARLY in the year I would check them in a week tops. To be honest, I would check'em in 3 nights. As it's on public land and a new area, you need to quickly determine if it's worth it to leave your cameras there. No sense burning batteries on birds, grass, squirrels, and humans. If you find something that peaks your interest, then I would reposition your cameras and leave the area alone for at least 10 days. IMO, this is enough time to determine if any bucks you like are frequent visitors to the area or just an occasional passersby. Again. make sure you secure your equipment as sticky finger syndrome is unfortunately all to common. Good Luck!!!

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
better have them in security boxes other wise they will end up like the one i put up this spring. Put one over what was left of last years food plot for S&G but some asshat decided he needed my camera more than me.

too get back on topic i usually check my camera's every 2-3 weeks this time of year. I always wait for a rainy or windy day when the deer won't be moving much and try to make as little disturbance as possible.

Granted this is on private land and i have a good idea of what is in the area.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
most companies sell them specific to your camera. I currently have one over the food plot mentioned above and used 8 inch lag screws to secure it to the tree.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a locking cable on all of them but there is still opportunity to nab the SD cards. I guess we will see soon enough

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
A security box,python cable,and a note on the box that the camera is password protected and useless without it.I don't know if its a big deterent or not but I have'nt lost one yet,could just be lucky!!
As far as checking I give them three or four days at first then I go to a couple weeks,then to only checking as I hunt the stand.I have a little Cannon powershot camera I carry in my pac,I have"nt had any issues reading files from any trail cam I've tried yet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33