Turbo Tax Et al.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are there any online DIY tax preparation sites to stay away from ? Or any that are better than others ?

Life finally slowed down to where all I need to do is file an EZ form. I could buy something nice with the $ 250 I pay someone else to do it. Thanks.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Me too. Pretty simple now but they still charge a couple hundred to file it.

bk3

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been using Free Tax USA for probably 8 years and have had no issues. Every year at tax time they send an email and when I've got all my info I open it up and fill in the blanks and they spit out how much I get back or owe. I think the Fed is free and state is like $12 to efile, pretty straight forward and thorough I feel, you can chose a more expensive version if you feel your missing out on something. It keeps track of all your stuff from year to year, pretty painless and easy, haven't been hacked by the Russians or anything yet

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use Turbo Tax every year. It's very easy to use, will load your info from previous year automatically. Have no reason to deviate. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are there any online DIY tax preparation sites to stay away from ? Or any that are better than others ?

Life finally slowed down to where all I need to do is file an EZ form. I could buy something nice with the $ 250 I pay someone else to do it. Thanks.

I get in the neighborhood of 8-10 W-2s and 1099s and have to file self-employment forms with expense deductions every year and I've never paid more than $170 to have a firm do my taxes in Bismarck. Turbotax ain't free either.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Turbo tax like $20 to $40 depends which version used another like H&R block both easy even dummy like me can do it very easy and yes spend $300 to $600 and other junk right. Stores sell it or download from them direct. As said above each year it brings over the info needed. Got more time than money.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use to get the EZ forms from the post office ( don't know if even do anymore ), until the wife started her business. It was then time for a taxman to the tune of $250

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use taxslayer and never had an issue. 7 1099s and wife's w-2. 3 kids. 4 rentals. Business expenses ain't what they used to be. But, it goes pretty smoothly every year. It auto generates all of the necessary forms for you.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Turbotax still has a free edition but it is no longer part of the IRS Free File program and it is very limited - no itemized deductions among other things. They have long had a bad reputation for some very shady dealings - like encouraging buyers to upgrade needlessly and the IRS requested they cease and desist on several occasions. I don't think the IRS was sad to see them withdraw from the program. The latest rumor is the IRS will begin offering online filing in the next few years. Until the Biden administration they had promised the software providers not to do this but Sen. Liz Waren and company have been pushing this hard and it is only a matter of time.

Almost all tax software can now import previous year data from other programs so that should not be an issue anymore. The std. deduction for 2021 for 65+ is $13,900 so unless your interest and property tax are greater than that it does not pay to itemize unless you have some large healthcare expenses and/or charitable contributions. (You can deduct up to $300 in cash charity contributions without itemizing again this year.)

I would start with free Cash App and see if it meets your needs. It was rated best by several review sites.

The Best Tax Software 2022 | What's The Best Tax Program For Me? (thecollegeinvestor.com)

TTcom | Free State Experience PPC LP (intuit.com)

Cash App Taxes can import your prior year 1040 and pull your personal data and adjusted gross income from your federal tax form. You won’t need to re-key this information if you filed with Credit Karma Tax, H&R Block, TurboTax or TaxAct last year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 157
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55