Walleye cheeks could be OFF the menu.....

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes, you can’t zipper. But cheeks and wings don’t count against the ‘2’ fillets. It’s a reasonable compromise for wardens to be able to do a better job of preventing over harvest and the guys that want to use more of the fish can without having take less fish to stay under the limit or leave meat on the table.

Trolldeep

Question- I cut the bellies out of my salmon. Is that allowed ? Or will the belly have to be attached to one of the filets?
Rant- If the warden is to incompetent to identify parts of the fish, perhaps I can gut the fish and call it “1” filet. What if I keep Salmon eggs? Does each egg count toward my limit? Lol.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
How 'bout make the 2 zipper cuts and then stick the point of the knife at the vent end of the zipper and remove it without separating the two fillets. Add the cheeks and wings and have a whole fish.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
How 'bout make the 2 zipper cuts and then stick the point of the knife at the vent end of the zipper and remove it without separating the two fillets. Add the cheeks and wings and have a whole fish.
If nothing else it would be fun to watch the wardens frustration while they are trying to figure out that mess!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Makes you forget about the days when we could bring them home in the live well.

I bring mine home in the live well all the time. Just pull onto my power lift on Metigoshe, raise the boat out of the water, open the live well drain, put the fish in the net, rinse the live well with a bucket of lake water and take the fish onshore to clean. Done deal!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If its hot out my fish go straight to iced cooler. If cooler day they go in live well and then to cooler for the trip home. Most of the puddles I fish don't have cleaning stations anyway except for Dry lake by Ashley. My set up at home is way better anyway, and the scraps go in he garden.

- - - Updated - - -

If its hot out my fish go straight to iced cooler. If cooler day they go in live well and then to cooler for the trip home. Most of the puddles I fish don't have cleaning stations anyway except for Dry lake by Ashley. My set up at home is way better anyway, and the scraps go in he garden.
Said the samething twice so must be right.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
For you people that like to eat the wings try this - take the piece you normally throw away after you zipper the filet(after you get home of course), bread it in seasoning salt and corn starch, deep fry it twice as long as you would a big piece. The bones will be crispified, nice little nibbles. I call it walleye rinds. Not sure if it’s healthy, but it is good tasting.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what you are saying is you only have 10 fish in your freezer right now?

I don't think you understand the definition of Possession Limit.

You can catch and keep 5 walleyes per day, and you are allowed 10 walleyes in your possession until you get to your home (not your weekend cabin at the lake). Once you are home the possession limit no longer applies, so you don't have to eat all 10 walleyes before heading back up to the lake for a weekend.

What you are somewhat alluding to is often called a freezer limit, and in ND the only thing I can think of offhand with a freezer limit are waterfowl.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
So here we are.... more regulation that affects 99% of the fishing population only to enforce the 1% of dumbasses out there! Is this any different than gun bans? (normal citizens are more affected than the criminals themselves).

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope this leads to them checking more people more often.

- - - Updated - - -

(easier on warden- doesn't have to argue with meatheads so often)

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
So here we are.... more regulation that affects 99% of the fishing population only to enforce the 1% of dumbasses out there! Is this any different than gun bans? (normal citizens are more affected than the criminals themselves).

Is this any different than gun bans? C'mon man, yes haha! The right to zip your walleye fillets before traveling is not guaranteed by any amendment. And I think we would all be surprised to actually know the real percentage of over fishing in North Dakota. Its most definitely over 1%

I will say the counting the cheeks as a fillet was incredibly stupid but they listened to sportsmen and compromised. Id call it a win and hopefully will lead to more people (residents and non-residents alike) getting caught over fishing/double dipping.

Last edited:

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you people that like to eat the wings try this - take the piece you normally throw away after you zipper the filet(after you get home of course), bread it in seasoning salt and corn starch, deep fry it twice as long as you would a big piece. The bones will be crispified, nice little nibbles. I call it walleye rinds. Not sure if it’s healthy, but it is good tasting.

I understand what you are doing by "overcooking" the strip so you can eat it with the bones in. But I'm for discarding the lateral line on most all fish as that seems to be where the "fishy" taste comes from. And that strip is part of the lateral line; no thanks. BUT we do like to overcook the ''wings" because the ends of the fins turn out like potatoe chips; crispy. Crappie tails; crispy chips!! Other panfish as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Question- I cut the bellies out of my salmon. Is that allowed ? Or will the belly have to be attached to one of the filets?
Rant- If the warden is to incompetent to identify parts of the fish, perhaps I can gut the fish and call it “1” filet. What if I keep Salmon eggs? Does each egg count toward my limit? Lol.

You keep and eat the bellies of salmon?? Are you aware of the mercury in the air that falls to the lakes from the coal fired plants? Mercury is a heavy metal that collects in the bellies of fish. The bigger/older the fish the more mercury. Please don't feed the bellies of any fish to your children. Adults can handle the mercury better/have less time to live than the children. The bigger the fish the more belly I leave for the grinder in my opinion. I've read all about it, just my opinion.

fishhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Considering all the stuff added to processed foods we eat every day. The last thing I’m worried about is the “toxins” in certain parts of a fish.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88