What are your plans for ice season 2018?

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have several trips planned as of now. My wife and I are expecting our 2nd baby early December so everything has to have an * behind it right now.

January- Planning on a trip to Fort Peck, probably sometime middle of the month. I understand ice can be sketchy, so Jan is probably a good time to find some decent ice. This will be my first trip over there. I will drag the fish house and ATV over and depending on ice conditions, either stay on the ice or just on shore. Hoping to pick up some Lakers and big walleyes. Probably a 4 day trip.

February- Making a trip up to Winnipeg with the family again. Dad, Uncle, and Cousin will go up. I don't have a ton of confidence on Winnipeg anymore, days of dreaming of catching 10-10lb fish in a day are gone for me. Still a great time to fish with the guys and still have a great chance at a 10+ lb walleye. We drag my dads wheelhouse up for this trip. Probably a 4 day trip.

March- I will be skipping Winnipeg in March this year. Planning on a trip up NorthWest of Winnipeg to look for big Lakers. Maybe get into some nice walleye and pike too. Lakes I am looking at are Clearwater, Reed, and Wekusko. Going to bring the fish house up and stay in that. Probably run and gun with the ATV. Never been up there, but a trip like this has been a dream of mine for awhile. Probably take some vacation days for this, so hopefully a 5-6 day trip. Going to be an adventure for sure!

What are you guys going to do? Anybody trying new waters this season?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before I consider hard water activities, I'm going to enjoy summer fishing, then early goose season, then bow season, then duck and goose season, then pheasant season, then fall fishing, then rifle season, then more pheasant season, then trapping season, then AFTER ALL THAT.........I'll might think about ice fishing. So at this point I have NO IDEA what I will be doing 7 months from now.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking I need a spotting scope and a pirate flag.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My plan is to sell my $10K Ice Castle if I can for about $6500 and fish a couple times in my portable. More coyotes as Petras mentioned, and less fishing. By the time the ice is thick enough I would rather be looking for coyotes or hanging out nice and toasty in my reloading room. When I was 30 I would lay on the ice looking down the hole and jigging. At months short of 70 I like it warmer.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's titty sprinkling June. The only ice I'm concerned about is in my mojito.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have several trips planned as of now. My wife and I are expecting our 2nd baby early December so everything has to have an * behind it right now.

January- Planning on a trip to Fort Peck, probably sometime middle of the month. I understand ice can be sketchy, so Jan is probably a good time to find some decent ice. This will be my first trip over there. I will drag the fish house and ATV over and depending on ice conditions, either stay on the ice or just on shore. Hoping to pick up some Lakers and big walleyes. Probably a 4 day trip.

February- Making a trip up to Winnipeg with the family again. Dad, Uncle, and Cousin will go up. I don't have a ton of confidence on Winnipeg anymore, days of dreaming of catching 10-10lb fish in a day are gone for me. Still a great time to fish with the guys and still have a great chance at a 10+ lb walleye. We drag my dads wheelhouse up for this trip. Probably a 4 day trip.

March- I will be skipping Winnipeg in March this year. Planning on a trip up NorthWest of Winnipeg to look for big Lakers. Maybe get into some nice walleye and pike too. Lakes I am looking at are Clearwater, Reed, and Wekusko. Going to bring the fish house up and stay in that. Probably run and gun with the ATV. Never been up there, but a trip like this has been a dream of mine for awhile. Probably take some vacation days for this, so hopefully a 5-6 day trip. Going to be an adventure for sure!

What are you guys going to do? Anybody trying new waters this season?

im gonna be fishing the bottom of my Margarita cup for the last drop for 4-5mo you sick bastard.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to get all psyched for ice season, go once and there will be a blizzard and I will not go again because the effing snow is too thick. Then I will think back to this thread and think damn that guy for interrupting a fine soft water season!

All your trips sound great, hope it works out for you!l. You must have married a saint!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to hunt coyotes alot more lost interest in ice fishing unless it is gang busters

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For whatever reason, I don't have the same passion for open water fishing as I do hard water.

Its the thoughts of ice that keep a guy cool on a hot summer day....:thatswhatsup:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be deployed. No hunting, no ice fishing for me....
Good luck sir.

As for me, I'll be painting lures so you guys can bring a few monsters to the top side of the ice. But until then, I'll be trying to sink my boat, enjoy a few cold ones, and get wrigley on more birds. Oh and head to Alaska and bring home some halibut.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
For whatever reason, I don't have the same passion for open water fishing as I do hard water.

Its the thoughts of ice that keep a guy cool on a hot summer day....:thatswhatsup:

Honestly, after the heat and dry and wind these past few days, I'm ready for fall!! You're right, thoughts of winter do help me when it's 95+. I suffer in the heat. Makes me whinier than normal.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
And don't get me wrong, I have plans for lots of bowhunting, rifle hunting, pheasants, ducks, and geese before ice season starts.

I like to have a plan and that usually entails internet research and asking questions on forums and such. Especially going up into Canada where it can be hard to find a lake map or hard just to find where to start fishing.
Fishing for me has turned into more of trying to find an adventure rather than catching a ton of fish. A few winters ago I camped in my portable house on a remote lake in Ontario. Only guy on the lake, sleeping outside when it was 0 degrees, and only catching 5 walleye in 3 days. Not for everybody but it was definitely an experience.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well thats good that you have a plan, but you struck a chord taking about ice fishing when its June my friend. When talking about ICE in june it only means one thing....ICE in the cooler keeping the brewskis cold for whatever you doing

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lets bring it back up top. The trip to Fort Peck I was planning might be questionable, mostly ice concerns, but the other 2 trips are still on. I'll be watching ice reports after Christmas as the weather is finally turning cold...er.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
And don't get me wrong, I have plans for lots of bowhunting, rifle hunting, pheasants, ducks, and geese before ice season starts.

I like to have a plan and that usually entails internet research and asking questions on forums and such. Especially going up into Canada where it can be hard to find a lake map or hard just to find where to start fishing.
Fishing for me has turned into more of trying to find an adventure rather than catching a ton of fish. A few winters ago I camped in my portable house on a remote lake in Ontario. Only guy on the lake, sleeping outside when it was 0 degrees, and only catching 3 walleyes in 5 days. Not for everybody but it was definitely an experience.

Exact reason I don't jump up and down about ice fishing. I feel like in a boat your chances improve significantly. Give me my boat, a 75 degree day and leave me alone!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
sketchy year ice wise,numerous atv's and vehicles have gone down this year as well as folks drowning here in Mn,all the way up to red lake,ice is still vey iffy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84