What Do you Want to Learn?

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
The favorite species thread that Still Learnin started is a great one.

I am always trying to learn something and would hope everyone else on here is too. What technique or lesson in fishing are you planning to learn or improve on?

For me, I am always trying to come up with some new edge or application to catch a catfish. As for other things I really want to learn how to fish plastics better. It seems I just suck at fishing with plastics unless it is casting for spring pike. I would like to learn to ice fish crappies better (having decent crappie water near by would help greatly) I would also like to learn to be excited and jump out of bed to go ice fishing.

So with that lets here it.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I'd like to improve my knowledge on the fish end of things. A guy can buy all the fancy lures they throw at you, but having a greater understanding of the species itself can do a lot more for a guy.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd like to improve my knowledge on the fish end of things. A guy can buy all the fancy lures they throw at you, but having a greater understanding of the species itself can do a lot more for a guy.

This was the approach to catfish I took years ago. Learn everything I can about the fish and how they act and react. It was an interesting a very rewarding topic of study that has paid big dividends for me. Match that with today's technology and BOOM.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last winter I could not catch keeper sized crappies until after 8 at night. The water was clearer than normal and they just bit late. With winter crappies i like to suspend my lures at least 5 feet off the bottom when jigging. I prefer to use small spoons with a ball
of 3 waxworms. If the bite is slower I will put down a minnow also.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The list for me is endless, but the top 3 are:

1. Learn how to fish offshore. Specifically how to use radar, sonar, and water clarity/temp breaks to catch wahoo, dolphin, and tuna.

2. Learn how to use land sets for trapping coyotes such as dirt hole sets, sign post sets, and the hay set.

3. Learn how to tan my own hides and how to make cool items from the pelts. Basically how to make clothes from the critters I catch.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try to figure out walleyes on the Red and learn how to fish crankbaits

sd fisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would really like to learn how to fish with a fly rod. I am guessing bass and pike would be a little exciting on that long rod.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
top 3.
Figure out tailrace trout and Salmon
Learn to build fishing rods
Relearn my old shore fishing spots

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to learn more about smoking fish. I bought a scaler for my mr twister....

- - - Updated - - -

Try to figure out walleyes on the Red and learn how to fish crankbaits

The red is a river of a 1000 casts for the big girls. It takes patience and luck to get them. This time of year though is the best time to cast cranks in the red IMO. I would use shallow running cranks at night and keep the lures in very shallow slack water and eddies.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not so much learn but I would love to map a few mile chunk of the Missouri river in detail to see what she really looks like down there and then map the exact same stretch the next year to see how much she changed. would be interesting to do it several years in a row to see if there is a pattern to her shifting sandbars over time.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
top 3.
Figure out tailrace trout and Salmon
Learn to build fishing rods
Relearn my old shore fishing spots

1. Fish for the opposite species
2. I'll trade lures
3. Can't help you

learn how to use jigging raps. I suck. Get better at jigs. Get cranks figured out. Move away from bottom bouncers.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long range shooting. Fly tying. Traditional bow/arrow building. Better woodsmanship in general.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long range shooting. Fly tying. Traditional bow/arrow building. Better woodsmanship in general.

What's this "Woodsmanship" you speak of??? There HAS to be an app on those smartphones that uses gps, satellite pics, topo maps, weather info, and moon phases to tell a person where and when to hunt to kill that big buck that MUST be better than this outdated thing you call "Woodsmanship". (Grin)

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. Fish for the opposite species
2. I'll trade lures
3. Can't help you

learn how to use jigging raps. I suck. Get better at jigs. Get cranks figured out. Move away from bottom bouncers.

I might just take you up on that.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always want to learn everything about anything... that is probably my biggest problem... the things I am trying to get better at currently are
1. bow hunting
2. reading and setting up a hunting property for deer
3. scent control (it's tough with a lab)
4. figuring out walleyes through the ice (this will only be the 3rd season I have really given ice fishing a shot)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 157
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55