Votes: 23 23.7%
  • no slots

Votes: 74 76.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
next time I am at the cleaning station and some jack ass badgers me because of my fish size I am going to push it down the grinder, and then knock their beer over. That will learn em.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
odd... the big pigs are actually our go-to for tacos

interesting

do you leave them in a whole fillet or dice em up? the recipe I use you cut them into pretty small chunks and they sit in a marinade for 3-4 hours.

I cannot tell a lie I do not catch big fish.....haha I guess ive never really tried 'tacos" with big fish cuz I don't catch a whole lot of big fish.

- - - Updated - - -

the size of 14-15" walleye fillets seems to work perfect but I guess I haven't tried anything over say 18-19".

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose bigger fish covered in marinades and other spicys would be the way to go but we just do tacos the overwhelming majority of the time

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
do you leave them in a whole fillet or dice em up? the recipe I use you cut them into pretty small chunks and they sit in a marinade for 3-4 hours.

I cannot tell a lie I do not catch big fish.....haha I guess ive never really tried 'tacos" with big fish cuz I don't catch a whole lot of big fish.

- - - Updated - - -

the size of 14-15" walleye fillets seems to work perfect but I guess I haven't tried anything over say 18-19".

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose bigger fish covered in marinades and other spicys would be the way to go but we just do tacos the overwhelming majority of the time

We slice the filets into "spears" roughly half the length and same diameter as pickle spears.... Like half a hot dog size or so. Marinate in fresh squeezed lime juice for a few hours.

- - - Updated - - -

We taco the pigs cuz you start getting 28-30 inches and well... the size of the pan needed simply makes pan frying whole filets impossible. Ha ha.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We slice the filets into "spears" roughly half the length and same diameter as pickle spears.... Like half a hot dog size or so. Marinate in fresh squeezed lime juice for a few hours.

- - - Updated - - -

We taco the pigs cuz you start getting 28-30 inches and well... the size of the pan needed simply makes pan frying whole filets impossible. Ha ha.

Industrial grade deep fryer for all your 28" plus walleye needs.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm telling you guys....also works great for fish, pizza and brownies.

th

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No bullshit, a 94 yr old client was in today asking me about my winnipeg trip. He said he never caught an eleven pound eye but plenty of ten plus pounds, and he would cut the head, tail, and fins off, gut it, soak it in a tender quick bath for 45 minutes, and finally smoke it in an old oven he converted into a smoker.
He said he was holding out for an 11lb plus to wall hang, but those smaller ones smoked up fantastic. ..haha
Love the stories my older clients tell me, I could have listened to him all afternoon. He had a doosie about ice fishing skunk when he was a young man 16 yrs ago (78 yrs old), that I will have to tell another time, as it is a exciting and very long story.

I wonder if he ever felt shame when smoking a hog eye...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen those creel surveys are few and far between and everyone knows it. You sir are a fool to think otherwise.

I suppose we could double our license fees so the NDGF can put in manned check stations at every boat ramp from April 1st through March 31st. That should help them get better numbers.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suppose we could double our license fees so the NDGF can put in manned check stations at every boat ramp from April 1st through March 31st. That should help them get better numbers.

Don't be stupid.

Triple NR license fees, and 10x for 'Sconi's.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
next time I am at the cleaning station and some jack ass badgers me because of my fish size I am going to push it down the grinder, and then knock their beer over. That will learn em.

Whose going to bail you out of jail?

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
tumblr_o7uatzsr2u1u8sl05o1_540.jpg
double the amount of honey. The bigger/thicker fillets are better imo anyway. Guy sent this to me last summer and it is my favorite now. Serve with butter mashed potatoes and a green of some sort.

I like brining and then frying the spawn sacks. The ones from December and January are delicate.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That sounds like one of those deals that look palatable then put me on my knees in horrific shock.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crappie eggs are mild and palatable. Perch eggs taste like balls of poached perch slime.

not sure about walleye spawn as I've never kept a spawner.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread made my morning! Great reading and even got a new recipe to try. I'm kinda sad I hit the end....

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually they are pretty good, texture can be a little funky, especially when over cooked. Something my great uncles always did.

My father in law said his family really liked northern eggs fried up when he was a kid he did not like them i will pass as i am not that hungry.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
so the dnr flat out lied in their report? Heads should roll if thats the case, but what would they have to gain by doing so? Would the indians actually take it to court if the dnr told them they couldnt net for 2 years? What a screwy situation
I actually think there was one or two years the DNR didn't let them net. Can't say for certain but I believe that happened. Snow would know

- - - Updated - - -

so the dnr flat out lied in their report? Heads should roll if thats the case, but what would they have to gain by doing so? Would the indians actually take it to court if the dnr told them they couldnt net for 2 years? What a screwy situation
DNR has zero credibility in MN. The study was done by the U of M. They will say whatever they're told and say whatever is necessary to protect the natives. It's political correction gone amuck. Think about it. You take 500,000 lbs of spawning fish out of the system year after year via the net, what the hell do you think the end result will be. And the worst part is they sell the fillets. They couldn't consume 500k pds if they tried. It's a damn joke.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 43
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15