ND Turtle Mountain Elk

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well my son tagged his once in a life time elk yesterday morning, it is a morning that I will always remember.

The expression on his face when the herd started moving over a hill into view was great, especially when the herd bull jumped the fence. We had a little ground to cover to get ahead of them but it all worked out perfect, could never have done it without the landowners assistance, he sure put us in the right location. Was also nice to be able to harvest this guy close to home, about 18 miles as the crow flies.

The herd consisted of about 40 head, one other 6x6 bull, 4x4, 5x5, about 6 spikes and the rest cows and calves, it was quite a sight to watch. The sight of the sun shinning off of them as they grazed was amazing.

Jon's ND Elk2 2017.jpgJon's ND Elk 2017.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got mine in1995 by killdeer mts and I can still see him on the morning frosted hillside, just have to close my eyes

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
That looks a damn site more fun than hunting turtles in the elk mountains. (grin)

Congratulations on a great animal, hunt, and memory.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
That looks a damn site more fun than hunting turtles in the elk mountains. (grin)

Congratulations on a great animal, hunt, and memory.

I think it would be easier hunting turtles!!!

I've been told the easiest part about elk hunting is shooting one, now I get it!!!!! Thankfully the landowner came and loaded it onto a trailer for us, but we skinned, caped and quartered it on the trailer (thankfully my brother in law was there to help) and got it put in a cooler until today. Today we de-boned, cut and vacuum sealed the meat, the elk provided just over 300 pound of boned out steaks, roasts, stew meat and burger. They are a much bigger animal than I imagined!!

Rick Tischaefer

Congratulations Pat - kids sure grow up fast. Good thing there is a taxidermist close by to do that shoulder mount! Awesome memories. Rick

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82