Nation’s Duck Populations Remain Strong by JR Sullivan

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
ducks.jpg

Photo courtesy of USFWS Mountain-Prairie/Flickr
Today the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) issued a report concluding that North America’s duck populations remain robust, echoing last year’s findings, with an estimated 49.5 million breeding ducks in the surveyed locations. This number indicates an approximate increase of 300,000 breeding ducks from last year and marks a more than 50 percent resurgence in waterfowl since 1955, according to Ducks Unlimited. The findings surmise mallards comprise 11.6 million, blue-winged teal 8.5 million, and gadwall 3.8 million of the total sum.
“Though conditions were dry in some important habitats, we had large numbers of birds returning this spring and good conditions in the boreal forest and other areas of Canada,” DU CEO Dale Hall says. “It looks like some typical prairie nesters skipped over the U.S. prairies and took advantage of good conditions farther north.”

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The waterfowl numbers and the variety of water birds present is amazing. Seen a flock of ibis's a couple days ago and they are somethin i tell ya.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A target rich environment.............:;:thumbsup!!!!!!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
haven't hunted ducks in years but am surely going to do some this fall.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If we're not careful the Do-Do bird will come back!

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
As long as there is an abundance of water, the ducks will thrive. If you look up statistics, wet years correspond with good duck populations. As for the sconis, I have let them hunt our land the last few years but with all the game violations I will be thinking twice letting them on.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
As long as there is an abundance of water, the ducks will thrive. If you look up statistics, wet years correspond with good duck populations. As for the sconis, I have let them hunt our land the last few years but with all the game violations I will be thinking twice letting them on.

If you need some help this fall, I'm an accomplished chewer-outer. If you prefer subterfuge, I carry a valve stem tool.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 174
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84