Reel Idea for Deadsticking

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been thinking lately (which would explain all the nosebleeds) and I think I might have the perfect reel for a dead stick rod that doesn't require a bobber: A freespool/baitrunning spinning reel.

You guys ever seen them things? The carp/catfish dudes love 'em. Basically, it's a spinning reel with a rear drag and a little extra lever in the back. It does everything like a normal spinning reel, except when the line is in the water, you flip that little lever and it's on freespool mode (not the back reel lever like a normal spinning reel, this makes it so the reel is still somewhat engaged). Sort of like the old clicker baitcaster your grandpappy used. When a fish hits, it starts peeling line off the light drag, and you can let them run until you get ready to slam the vinegar. Then you can either flip the lever back, or crank the handle to engage normal drag and reel functionality.

Anyway, the problem with these is they all appear to be large. The smallest Shimano Baitrunner reel I can find is a 3500, which pretty much can pull a stuck dually pickup out of the mud. They're also expensive, like $75 and up.

So what do you guys think? Anyone seen something like this, but on the midget side? I'm keen to 500-1000 size reels for most hardwater purposes.

Or should I just stick to either: a) bobbers or b) frantically running to my dead stick rod as it jumps helplessly toward the hole.

Thanks! ;:;boozer

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couldn't you just open the bale on a regular reel to get the same effect?

If you did that without a bobber the bait would fall all the way to the bottom. A freespool style reel allows you to basically turn the reel down to a much lighter drag setting. So you could, hypothetically, drop your jig to a foot off the bottom, put the rod in a rod holder, and flip the freespool switch. The jig would remain where you placed it, but when a fish took it, the line would peel off under very light resistance.

I've tried this with a normal spinning reel by simply backing the drag way down and then quickly turning it up after setting the hook, but that's cumbersome and chaotic.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy moly Duckslayer that is a lot of thinking.haha:;: I have been doing this ice fishing thing wrong the whole time. I have spent my idle time thinking of how to get more fish on the jigging rod.:;:sorry Dead stick was my decoy. Although..now that I think about it...damn dead stick has out produced jigging rod on more than a few occasions...Damn..maybe you are onto something.:cool:

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spinning reel, open bail, sinker just heavy enough to keep on bottom, floating jig head with 1' leader would work in a pinch I guess.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
$_3.JPG
$T2eC16dHJFwFFZ2yhgWyBRbG3!iWFQ~~60_3.JPG

I have never used this kind of reel, but can these be set up for what you would like to do?

- - - Updated - - -

I definitely have some cheap ht spinning reels that the drag system is just like this

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
That alot of thinking. I like the concept when fishing for northern but much more than that I would rather watch a bobber.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That alot of thinking. I like the concept when fishing for northern but much more than that I would rather watch a bobber.

Oh Kickemup, sometimes it is nice to have new ideas and topics about new stuff to talk about. You know this is a outdoor website right. ;:;blahblah

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
yea use a small bait caster. push the spool button in and then adjust the tension on the spool so that it just barely stops free spooling.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can use a fly reel to do almost the same thing. Their drag is very light on the cabelas one.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yup, that's the style. Like I said, they're all BIG.

I think I may have found a good compromise, though: The No. 8 Tackle CGI: http://store.no8tackle.com/p/cgi-left-handed?pp=24

I'm not a huge fan of inline reels, but this has a lot of cool features at a darn affordable price tag. It can drop a super light jig, has a geared return so it's more than one spool per crank, and a star drag system. But best of all, it has a freespool/baitclicker feature! I'm not sure if it'll work the exact way I want, but for the price I think I'm gonna pick one up over lunch today. Giggity-giggity-goo!

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet the freespool would work pretty good. Kinda feel like a lot of fuss though. I guess I don't mind the bobber much. Even the clam ice warriors download.jpgonce the flag goes up you are in freespool anyway. I actually like to use them with a slip bobber also. Bobber just barely big enough to keep the weight up. The slip sinker and floating jig should work also but I for some reason I can't catch a dang thing with it. Works all summer but once I drop in down a hole it's worthless. Probably just a shitty fisherman though.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't get me wrong, I use bobbers a lot. But there are times when it's nice to just drop a dead stick down with nothing at all. Especially when you're waiting for that golden 30 minutes around sunset. I can't count the times I've had the walleyes finally rush through, and then had to spend agonizing seconds resetting bobber stops or hand-feeding line through a bobber because it was freezing up.

I know, I know. I'm overthinking it (recall the nosebleeds). I do that a lot, especially pre-season when I'm antsy to just GET THE F ON THE ICE AND FISH ALREADY!!!

*ehem* Sorry for that. I have icefishturrets. It's genetic. Try to ignore me.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up the CGI over lunch. It seems like a darn nice piece of equipment for the $29 Gander wanted. Plus I got a $10 gift card from a Pheasants Forever promo, so it really only cost me $20. We'll see if it's worth that much, but I'm guessing it can't be worse than the cheap reals I already have.

The bait clicker only appears to be really worthwhile if you go and turn the drag all the way down. It's a star drag like a bait caster, however, so it would be a quick spin to snug it up when you're going to set the hook.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try 2 lb nanofil for flossin your teeth. Flossin...? Why did i think your name was munson. The names munson what im doing is flossing.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ever try bowling with a football? It sucks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82