Death by Bluegill

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw this laying on shore and was curious. I knew from the pink color it was "meaty"...

2015-05-09 10.48.52 - Copy.jpg
As I got closer the shape told me it was a good sized walleye.

So I got off the boat and found this.

2015-05-09 10.50.28 - Copy.jpg

2015-05-09 10.50.01 - Copy.jpg

I tore the gills open to reveal the fish inside.
2015-05-09 10.51.13 - Copy.jpg

8 inch gill, 25 inch walleye
2015-05-09 10.52.38 - Copy.jpg

My fishing partner kept the boat from smacking into the rocks by pegging it securely with the new 12' Talon.
2015-05-09 10.53.24 - Copy.jpg

Good work Royce.

- - - Updated - - -

There were two huge mink running around in that area - I figure they ate the eggs/guts and a good portion of the meat.
But who knows. Almost any critter would I suspect. Skunk, fox, coon, etc.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
How'd your trolling motor enjoy being shoved into the rocks? Aaaand, hows the new talon work?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How'd your trolling motor enjoy being shoved into the rocks? Aaaand, hows the new talon work?

I shove my trolling motor into rocks all the time. You baby yours? I'd rather have stability and the boat hull off the rocks - my Terrova can handle it.

The Talon is the ####. I am in love. I got a crankbait hunk up in 2-3 feet of water. I drifted into the area then stuck the Talon and that gave me all the time in the world to reach down with my extendable (8 ft) net and snag it. In the old days I would have had to run the trolling with the remote and try to dig/net the crank at the same time in a stiff wind - usually ending up with a stressful mess, some swear bombs, and no rescued crank.

- - - Updated - - -

You can see the dark gray wear patterns across the flanks of the bluegill where the walleye's teeth were. (in the ruler photo)

I tried to pull the gill out of the walleye's mouth but no way was it coming out the way it went in.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last time I buried my trolling motor (in sand none the less) I found out that whoever put it on used lag bolts. Thankfully I had my ogre friend in the bow and he caught it before it went overboard for good. Been a little weary to buff the underside of my electric now.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy crap. That's a big gill for that fish to attampt to eat! just when you think nature can't get any neater it goes and does something like this. How neat is that?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found a pig pike floating dead once with a large white bass stuck in its mouth. Must have been at least a 12lb pike. I wonder what went through her mind before dying, she was probably like, "My momma always told me not to bite off more than I can chew, damn I wish I would have listened to her", or maybe " I wonder how far away the nearest fishy ER is? If I would have gotten that dang waterproof case for my iphone, I could have called for help, boy am I stupid...."

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had some creek chubs and minnows together in a little aquarium. One day I noticed a smaller creek chub swimming around with a minnow sticking out of its mouth. Its head barely fit inside the chubs mouth. It swam like that for about 3 days, each day the minnow was a little further down. On about day 4, the chub had swallowed the minnow, but was really bloated, it struggled to stay straight. The next day the chub died. I would bet this happens in nature more than a guy thinks.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had some creek chubs and minnows together in a little aquarium. One day I noticed a smaller creek chub swimming around with a minnow sticking out of its mouth. Its head barely fit inside the chubs mouth. It swam like that for about 3 days, each day the minnow was a little further down. On about day 4, the chub had swallowed the minnow, but was really bloated, it struggled to stay straight. The next day the chub died. I would bet this happens in nature more than a guy thinks.

my buddy was saying that the chubs he caught in his trap were eating all the other minnows in there they are definate predators.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Is it weird that this reminds me if my 1st ....... Uh, nevermind ...

I think I just made it weird ...

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man I like your boat set up. Royce looks a little too refined for me, though he looks like he would like to roll in what's left of the two fish. He seems a little disappointed you didn't let him ashore.

JoGa

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the more interesting things I've seen in quite awhile. Great share!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

I thought you were supposed to call a doctor after four hours?...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 83