Best way to get a Lunker in the boat???

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is my experience of catching a big fish on a light action setup, the one and only time I fished rainy river was the spring of 2011. The guy gave me to use a pflueger trion spoiled with 8 pound Cajun red fishing line. It was just me and the guide so of course I was the net guy 6 times to my one time.

My onetime was a fish of a lifetime for me. This particular time I set the rod against the side of the boat and netted his fish. I grabbed my fishing rod pulled up on it and thought damn I have a snag. When I quit pulling up and had the guide turn around with his trolling motor to get unsnagged that is when the fish started running. It pulled line with zing and there was no way i was going to try and horse this fish in on 8# test.

He used the trolling motor to keep up with fish as it would pull line out. I would constantly adjust the drag as to not break the line off. A few times we were getting very close to Canadian side of the river. The guide was becoming impatient with me thinking that I wasn't up to challenge to get this fish up to the boat. After it seemed like forever by this time my legs are shaking becuase of the adrenalin rush. I worked that fish hard to the point that when she came up to the surface she was done no fight left. At first I thought this was a sturgeon but nope she was a big girl 11# 30.5"

The line in the spool was so stretched that it would curl up that was it for me. I keep my tip up just like the guys on the deep sea fishing. Even when I fish by myself on the rocks I always keep my tip up that way I can use the drag more effectively, that is my most important feature of a good reel is the drag system and knowing how to use it.

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to say wear tight jeans and flash a little weed... but then I read the title again and noticed the "a"

Worm in the title its also a capital L in Lunker, you pillow biter worm. Just say no to drugs

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was only foolin worm a little light jabbing is all. :;:cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Ps I don't smoke pot and I am not into whatever you are insinuating a liking of tight pants in reference to some fictional character you made up in your head.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are optimal techniques for boat control and netting WHILE TROLLING?? Even for normal fish - not just lunkers?

This thread has me curious - since my Skegosaurus is working wonderfully and I have been recently netting walleyes (by myself) - sort of a pain - but a worthwhile pain.

I've got the traditional "boat's not moving" netting down well enough. And I am smart enough to know I shouldn't kill all motors and let a ###show commence (experience taught me that real quick).

At this point I've been using main motor for power, using xi5 for steering and adding the necessary 01. or 0.2 mph. When I get bit I throw main out of gear and bump the xi5 from 2.0 or whatever I am at down to 1.0.

Seems to work OK - maybe I should just kill the motor and leave the xi5 set at 2.0? The xi5 does seem very slow to react to the lack of thrust from the main motor - so maybe that's as good as knocking the xi5 down to 1.0?

Anyway - I'd like to hear netting advice from people who troll all day every day. That other thread had a remark about getting the net behind fish and then letting it fall back into it. Can someone flesh that out more?

- - - Updated - - -

long rods with medium action accomplish this too though - not?

Leave the boat in gear, but throttle down a little. The guy with the net HAS to be in the back and the guy on the rod in front. If a really long rod (Never used them) maybe even put the guy with the rod up in the bow. Don't even put the net in the water until its past you. Then just slip the net behind the fish and the guy on the rod just lets the fish back in the net. But make sure not to give too much slack or it will swim down.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I'm that guy who trolls all day every day....well at least 90% of the time in June-July. Works good with BB when going at least 1 mph

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
mrs johnr has the thigh strength of a crocodile bite. iffn she could harness this power for the good of fish retrieval.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was going to say wear tight jeans and flash a little weed... but then I read the title again and noticed the "a"

I was thinking more like making a smart aleck comment, watching the hamster spin around and the smoke come out of his ears, and then letting him know there was a way to post bad rep in the boat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 58
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 18