Ultimate BB Rod/Reel?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother really enjoyed bottom bouncer fishing at Lake Sakakawea this summer because he likes eating walleyes as much as (maybe more than) catching them.

But we weren’t set up very well for rods/reels because I think BB fishing is torture. 😝

Anywho… I know he’s going to want me to drag him around again next year. So I thought I should get a couple good setups in my boat.

Recommendations?

Last edited:

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
st croix bounce and troll rods work well for me, got diawa reels on them with the flippin switch which works good to let line out quick when depths change.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recommendations will probably lean towards bait casting reels versus spinning. If you go that route, make sure you get the reel on the preferred side. I've never thought I could feel bites as well with a bait caster as a spinning and I attributed it to the fact that with a bait caster, the reel is in your hand but with a spinning reel, you hold the rod. Now if the rod is in a rod holder and you are holding a refreshment, who cares.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally hated the bounce and troll st. Croix --2-3oz to soft-- i sold it.. I do have the GLoomis bouncer rod which in my opinion is great. I also use an assorted number of rods for 13fishing to tfos that i use for bass fishing most are medium heavy and they all work good for BB. Flippin switch - quantums

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Scheels 8'10" trolling rods work well, just don't get the Okuma POS reels that Scheels puts on them. Go with Daiwa Accudepths, or SeaLine reels. The size 27 reels seem to be a good match.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.commanderrods.com/

Look at these guys. They were at a sports show in Perham a few years back and I bought a nice Jigging rod from them. After I used it it became my go to rod. I parked my old Lomis.
When covid hit I fished on Devils and ended up getting a very good BB rod of theirs.
Less cost then the big names and my opinion
equally as good.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does a guy want a moderate or extra fast action? I feel like a bull whip would keep fish hooked up better

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does a guy want a moderate or extra fast action? I feel like a bull whip would keep fish hooked up better
Depends if you are using braid or mono. You want some give in the system, if you are using mono, then use a faster action rod, and the opposite is true using braid.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally hated the bounce and troll st. Croix --2-3oz to soft-- i sold it.. I do have the GLoomis bouncer rod which in my opinion is great. I also use an assorted number of rods for 13fishing to tfos that i use for bass fishing most are medium heavy and they all work good for BB. Flippin switch - quantums
I'd agree if you are going to go over 2oz. 3oz will make them dip too much.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
BB rods are typically slower options. I have st. Croix but they are falling out of my favor. Second the accudepths or any round casting reel. I like the Abu Garcia C3.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Scheels 8'10" trolling rods work well, just don't get the Okuma POS reels that Scheels puts on them. Go with Daiwa Accudepths, or SeaLine reels. The size 27 reels seem to be a good match.
My take is 3oz yes a trolling rod works well in a rod holder.
Otherwise -- a reel that fits in your hand, 7' to 7' 3", medium heavy fast action on everthing else, you can still use a 3 oz bouncer its just not ideal and you can hold if the situation calls for it.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught thousands of eyes on the bottom bouncer set up, not sure why a guy would hate a proven system of putting fish in the box.

only the gays need to rub their own poles.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
IF I choose to fish with a bottom bouncer, its my 7'9" JTX Mag Med. Light. It also pulls double duty when casting.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught thousands of eyes on the bottom bouncer set up, not sure why a guy would hate a proven system of putting fish in the box.

only the gays need to rub their own poles.
Hate is maybe a bit much. Extremely boring and repetitive is probably a more accurate description.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84