Ultimate BB Rod/Reel?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any decent fishing rig you get would be a great "Birthday" present for your bro. Can I be your brother, LOL

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Visitor bro has lived in HI for >30 yrs. So when bro comes home (sometimes many years apart) he's driven (almost maniacally) to harvest fish. (I guess he doesn't get enough ahi, etc. at home?)

I'm not sure he put the 3oz bouncer rod in the holder ONCE in many days of fishing this summer. He also consistently out-fished his two bros in both volume and big fish every day... which is exactly what we were hoping for.

Sort of... it got old after a while. 🥴

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
BB -- depending on the bite --- but i bet i hold onto my BB setup and second one goes in the holder. Depending on which setup i get more bites on i use -- but most of the time your feeling the bite just like if one pitched the bait.

BB haters i am trying to figure you all out

This summer i fished bass primarily ---- believe me i would much rather be trolling a BB then pitchin.

I didnt grow up like the bb haters -- dacron and baitcasters and casting all day.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm trying to figure out how anyone can compare a pitch bite (thump, whump, bang, jolt) to the sluggish "ooh, is that a snag?... no, might be a fish?.... oh, nice one I guess" typical of bottom bouncer strikes and fights.

What I enjoy about pitching for eyes:
1. The engagement ("hunting" for where to pitch) - often in < 5 fow.
2. The jolting strike or thump, oftentimes quite shocking
3. Occasionally treated to seeing a follow by a nice walleye or two
4. The very lively fight - where you're directly engaged with the fish on light line/rod. (compared to dragging one in that's hooked up to a 3 oz weight on a medium heavy goober rod)

I don't drink alcohol while I fish - maybe that's the secret to enjoying BBing more?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm trying to figure out how anyone can compare a pitch bite (thump, whump, bang, jolt) to the sluggish "ooh, is that a snag?... no, might be a fish?.... oh, nice one I guess" typical of bottom bouncer strikes and fights.

What I enjoy about pitching for eyes:
1. The engagement ("hunting" for where to pitch) - often in < 5 fow.
2. The jolting strike or thump, oftentimes quite shocking
3. Occasionally treated to seeing a follow by a nice walleye or two
4. The very lively fight - where you're directly engaged with the fish on light line/rod. (compared to dragging one in that's hooked up to a 3 oz weight on a medium heavy goober rod)

I don't drink alcohol while I fish - maybe that's the secret to enjoying BBing more?

You fish with me one summer I guarantee you will wish you were draggin a bottom bouncher. I figure around 1200-to 1400 casts per day . Add to that a long late june day 9 holes of golf. Thank god for that roll on stuff they sell in MN.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
were not talking some little quarter ounce jig on those numbers of casts. Plus drag it back through structure and weeds

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You fish with me one summer I guarantee you will wish you were draggin a bottom bouncher. I figure around 1200-to 1400 casts per day . Add to that a long late june day 9 holes of golf. Thank god for that roll on stuff they sell in MN.
Why do you fish walleyes like that?

And why do you do it if it's such a horrific PITA?

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I stopped pulling bbs when I learned to pull cranks efficiently bbs are boring now I harvest fish now sometimes I don't even slow down just skip them in right in the well I have a clicker cause I often loose count with doubles and triples happening often I put extensions and the back holders so my kids can just real and tell me the #s on the counter so I can net when they get close its the funnest fishing I've ever had.. plus I usually done by the time everyone else puts the boat in.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_6790.jpeg

IMG_6791.jpeg

Bought this last summer.
Used it 1/2 the summer.
Thought I would like the right handed reel but don’t.
Spooled up with 8 # fire line.
$75 cash

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
An accurist and a 7ft medium lightning rod are perfect imo for 1.5oz bouncers but idk about 2-3oz

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
A nice medium heavy rod with a decent reel is my go to bouncing set up. I prefer a fast or extra fast tip. Casting or spinning is a toss up. Personally prefer a casting setup.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When working 15' or less water I use 7'0 St. Croix Avid with Pflueger Supreme XT Spinning reel with10# PP. You can feel if spinner blade is still working or gets fouled by weeds. Held 90% of the time.
Rod holder gets the Diawa Sealine on a Cabelas Tourney Trail Rod.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84