Advice needed on trolling motor battery

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 55 lb thrust minkotta trolling motor that I will be using on a canoe. What would you guys suggest for the size of battery, specifically how many amp hours minimum should I buy? I don't use it that often but when I do, the trolling motor would get used fairly hard as the main source of power.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the lithium ion batteries - which cost an insane amount but are crazy light weight - look very very good for canoe or kayaks with electrics!

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The biggest you can fit you'll get the most runtime that way.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking at the Everstart 29DC from Walmart with about 110 amp hours. I'm not super concerned about weight (but don't want extremely heavy) because I actually need weight in the front of the canoe most of the time to help steer easier.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking at the Everstart 29DC from Walmart with about 110 amp hours. I'm not super concerned about weight (but don't want extremely heavy) because I actually need weight in the front of the canoe most of the time to help steer easier.

I got two that run my motorguide 80lb. I like them so far but they're only a few months old. I've been able to run all day on anchor lock or heading lock with no problems.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
the duracell pro AGM group 31 has one of the best amp hour rating plus a 5 year warranty (pro is the key for warranty) I picked one up at batteries plus in minot... was spendy but if it goes bad in 5 years i can pick up a new one, was $200 if i recall right

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82