Pre-Rut Activity?

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone started to see some of the early signs? Scrapes, rubs etc?

Usually Halloween weekend I start to see some and the big boys start moving as the corn and flower fields come down. Still haven't seen a rub or scrape in my area yet which is unusual. Cannot wait for that magical period in November!!

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
oh ya we got rubs and scrapes last friday had a little buck come in grunting his whole way behind a doe chasing her all over, nose to the ground, and i also saw my shooter saturday morning and he was cruising checking scrape lines.. they are starting their pre rut for sure!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to be freshly showered and have a bit of whiskey in me.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't hunt a very big area, but I haven't seen any scrapes or rubs yet. Usually in my spot those come in early November. However, I do have camera pictures of bucks sparring. And I've seen more bucks on camera since about Oct. 10 so they are starting to move more. And that's with quite a bit of corn still standing. Speaking of corn still standing, I have a feeling the corn harvest has been put on hold for at least a week or more. Probably a couple inches of rain last night where I hunt south of Fargo.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was out a bit over the weekend pheasant hunting and saw rubs and scrapes. When I got home, I drove around a bit and noticed some rubs. Don't generally get scrapes, but we will see this year. Every year they seem to be changing around my area just a little bit.

Hornhunter

Banned
Banned
Seen a low 130s buck screwing the snot out of a doe behind the house this morning. Little early but hey what the hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots. Have seen mature bucks chasing does during shooting light, chasing other smaller bucks. Rubs, scrapes, deer fighting on camera. Friend had about 100 photos of a 1/2 hour fight between 2 decent bucks on his trail camera. Can't wait to get out!

Hornhunter

Banned
Banned
I got a bad rep for my comment. By letting members bad rep another member for comments is pretty much taking away freedom of speech no matter how u look at it. Vollmer u must be a Hillary supporter. I have like 5 bad reps with the initials svn after the rep. Seven, do u dislike me that much?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not me. I sign. Here you go jackwagon.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, since I've been honored with "12 Months Registered" five times in a year; it is Mr. 7 or Sven. Trifle if you must with the likes of John...R or other such ilk.

- - - Updated - - -

(for the record I gave him pos rep for ego purposes)

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a bad rep for my comment. By letting members bad rep another member for comments is pretty much taking away freedom of speech no matter how u look at it. Vollmer u must be a Hillary supporter. I have like 5 bad reps with the initials svn after the rep. Seven, do u dislike me that much?

Bad Rep is the members way of exercising their freedom of speech to let someone know they don't appreciate the content of their post or the attitude, spirit, or intent of the post just as Good Rep is meant to show the opposite. Obviously, your previous post was NOT appreciated and insulting Vollmer by calling him a "Hillary Supporter" probably didn't help.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member

Not V's fault. I think the system is slick. Maybe you just need to take the hint. :;:huh

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been seeing a few bucks chasing does 1 old mature buck checking a doe, scrape lines n hundreds of rubs the last 2 weeks

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
young bucks are getting "horned" up
older bucks know it ai'nt time yet.
watched 5 small bucks work a scrape yesterday.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bucks all over last night. Every one came right by my stand except the big boy who stayed in the CRP harassing a doe. Checked my trail cameras before getting into the blind and lots of fresh rubs in the shelter belt edges, and big ones at that. Bucks are scattered and figuring out where the girls are at. Great time of year!

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
not sure what everyone else is seeing out there. This last weekend spend some time at the in-laws hunting in NE ND. Saw a very nice buck chasing 2 does around on Sat night, then sunday night saw a decent buck making scrapes and rubs.

Sat the last 3 nights here at home and had seen a forkie. Otherwise have seen lots of does and fawns. Which leads me to a question. When do does kick fawns out? Tonight a doe came in with her button buck. Thought she would have kicked him out by now?????

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
They don't kick them out till next spring. the fawn will get pushed off for a short time when she's tied up with a buck will be back soon after. rut down here is starting to get rolling but more evident in the mule deer then the whitetails sofar.

Kraken

Founding Member
Founding Member
They don't kick them out till next spring. the fawn will get pushed off for a short time when she's tied up with a buck will be back soon after. rut down here is starting to get rolling but more evident in the mule deer then the whitetails sofar.

Idk, rut is full swing for sure mid north dakota, bucks running around middle of the day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82