Sharpening strikemaster lazer blades

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone had luck sharpening these? I forgot to throw the chipper on last winter when going to fish the river and the sand tore it up, had a hell of a time drilling just a few holes. I tried using their hand sharpener and it didn't do any good. The blades actually feel fairly sharp but they get no cut. Could they be bent? I loved the lazer blades when new but might have to stick with the slower chipper ones since they can take a beating anyway.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard it is damn near impossible to sharpen these blades your best off buying new ones...however there are a couple places on line that claim they will sharpen them...I found one last year out of NY that would have charged like $11 with shipping...I did not send them in...let me see if I can find the link

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried but ended up sending them to a cyclery shop in minot. I do usually touch up the point after every few outings.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Local strikemaster dealer here in the cities sell new and refurbished blades,company name is D-ROCK power located in New Brighton Minn,give them a call,I alweays have extra's in my shack even tho we don't get the wind blowin soil you guys get in nodak,we do get sand that falls off the vehicles once we start driving on the lakes.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having other people sharpen them is pretty hit and miss in my experience. There are going to be a lot of dull blades on the river this year, there is a ton of sand in the chunky ice from the wind during freeze up :(. Thankfully i bought a chipper flighting last year!

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.fish307.com/auger-blade-sharpening/

Blade Type

Price

Shipping

Total
Total for NY State Customers
Total for Canadian Customers
Hand Auger Blades 4" to 8"
StrikeMaster(Mora & Lazer), Jiffy, Fin Borre III, Eskimo
$12.00 per Set
$4.95 for up to 3 sets of blades
(add $1 for each additional set)
$16.95
$18.14
$26.95
Power Augers 4" to 10"
Lazer, Quantum & Barracuda Blades, StrikeMaster Mag III (except ULTRA MAG) & Jiffy
$15.00 per Set
$19.95
$21.35
$29.95
Power Augers
StrikeMaster Ultra Mag, 6"-10" Jiffy 3 Blades "35 series" (with side cutters)
$30.00 per Set
$34.95
$37.40
$44.95

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy new. Every time I have my strikemaster blades sharpened they don't cut worth a darn. They are worth the $50, I promise. Last year I had them sharpened and went fishing. Took me 25 minutes to punch 4 holes in 6" of ice.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy new. Every time I have my strikemaster blades sharpened they don't cut worth a darn. They are worth the $50, I promise. Last year I had them sharpened and went fishing. Took me 25 minutes to punch 4 holes in 6" of ice.
Best advice I've read all day. The frustration of sending lazer blades off to get sharpened only to have them bounce on top of the ice when you get them back isn't worth it. Buy new and use the old ones as throwing stars to defend your ice house.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Strikemaster makes a sharpener for the blades that i used to keep in my tackle box. It actually worked for minor dullness.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best advice I've read all day. The frustration of sending lazer blades off to get sharpened only to have them bounce on top of the ice when you get them back isn't worth it. Buy new and use the old ones as throwing stars to defend your ice house.

Wade at Dakota tackle hooked me up from the start with my Honda lite. Chipper blade is the only way to fly... Fly Carpin

Its a complete different auger but I have had no missed time fishing from dull blades.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wade at Dakota tackle hooked me up from the start with my Honda lite. Chipper blade is the only way to fly... Fly Carpin

Its a complete different auger but I have had no missed time fishing from dull blades.
Agreed. I have an 8" chipper for dirty ice. But I prefer to use the lazer whenever possible

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow they must really cut, the lazer blades... Maybe kitten paws will bring his next time we go so I can see it in action.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
hqdefault.jpg

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried but ended up sending them to a cyclery shop in minot. I do usually touch up the point after every few outings.

This. I have sent my strike master blades to them a couple times for sharpening. Quick turnaround and cut like new. Val's Cyclery to be exact.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I broke down and ordered one from walmart.com was about $36 for the set and I used an old giftcard for most of it. I might send in the old set to get sharpened as a backup just to try it.

Thanks

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I should have mentioned that I have 2 sets of blades. 1 on my auger and the other rides in my tackle box so I can swap them out on the ice if need be. One thing about the strike master auger is it can go from drilling to not drilling over night.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another vote of confidence for Val's Cyclery in Minot. I sent 3 sets to them last summer and I'm impressed. They cut like new blades.

Anyone know how many times they can be sharpened before they are junk?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82