Aaron's 2023 Rifle Whitetail Deer | North Dakota | NPLife

No comments have been found at this time

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Details

Nov 12, 2023 at 7:22 PM
Posted by NPO_Aaron
And just like that I’m tagged out for the year.
It’s bittersweet when you decide to squeeze the trigger. In an instant, what you’ve looked forward to all year is done.
When I drew this tag I didn’t know what do. Because I didn’t draw the ability to hunt the refuge I had no idea where I was going to go. Thank goodness for good friends and great landowners. A week or so ago a friend of mine showed me this place and after a call to the landowner, I was good to go.
I snuck my way through a field and into the coulee 45 minutes before shooting light. About 30 minutes after the sun came up I noticed another group of hunters entering the property from the other side. At first I was a little grumpy that my plans seemed to have been ruined. Then after some thought I decided to make a move down the drainage and maybe even use them pushing deer to my advantage.
As the sun came overhead I tucked back into the shadows in a west facing slope. I had been trying my hand at rattling and had just finished my second sequence when this buck came storming in. I don’t know if he was coming to the call or if someone happened to push him my way, but nonetheless he stopped broadside 75 yards away. I nestled my scope on his high shoulder and my 7mm dropped him in his tracks.
I am so grateful for the opportunity and the ability to do this. As I get older and my sons grow I can only pray that I can continue to enjoy this lifestyle.
0     1     261