Flying squirrel

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My cat Yeti boy brought one to me one tonight. First I have ever saw or heard of them around here . Anyone else ever see them in ND ?

- - - Updated - - -

flying squirrel 003.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

flying squirrel 001.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I found out my friend Chuck has done a segment on them @ PP, Sounds like Yeti Boy came in second.

http://www.prairiepublic.org/radio/...hive/natural-nd-2016-archive/flying-squirrels

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah must be a northern from what the range maps show on them although the suthern isn't exactly a long ways away either with them covering most of suthern and central MN. I know I've never seen one but apparently that's to be expected even though I find it odd they are found in the black Hills but some how missed to Missouri River Valley.

Flying-squirrel-range.jpg

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never seen one personally, but a friend was moving his girlfriend from an apartment in GF back in 2000(?) and had one walk into her apartment with the door blocked open. I guess it was a shit show with him trying to catch it to get it out, he was as surprised to find a flyer in GF as I was to hear of it.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would encourage you to contact the NDGF fur-bearer biologist (Stephanie) with your picture if this was indeed found in the turtle mountains.. regardless very cool and thanks for posting Davey!!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard of a few in our area. Pretty sure I saw one as a kid. That and a kangaroo mouse had adults thinking I was nuts.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never seen a flying squirrel, but if you keep your eyes open you see some things you don't expect right here in North Dakota. Years ago when my boys were small we were hiking in the Badlands. I thought it would be neat to get a cottontail and cook over an open campfire. I was carrying a 357 with birdshot and when a grey cottontail sized rodent run across the trail in front of me I took a quick shot through the sage with the handgun. When I picked it up it was a Bushytailed Wood Rat. A large rock outcrop had dozens of middens and rats scurrying into cracks. I called the Game and Fish and they asked where I collected it. I guess it's the only known site with them in North Dakota and they asked me not to reveal the location to anyone. I sent the skin to them. It was about the size of a medium cottontail.

Here is an internet photo:Neotoma cinerea-17.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha ha. an animal, literally rated as “least concern” as a species, and they wanted you to not spread word of their location. What would be the problem with you doing that exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmong from MSP converging on said location?

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have never seen a flying squirrel, but if you keep your eyes open you see some things you don't expect right here in North Dakota. Years ago when my boys were small we were hiking in the Badlands. I thought it would be neat to get a cottontail and cook over an open campfire. I was carrying a 357 with birdshot and when a grey cottontail sized rodent run across the trail in front of me I took a quick shot through the sage with the handgun. When I picked it up it was a Bushytailed Wood Rat. A large rock outcrop had dozens of middens and rats scurrying into cracks. I called the Game and Fish and they asked where I collected it. I guess it's the only known site with them in North Dakota and they asked me not to reveal the location to anyone. I sent the skin to them. It was about the size of a medium cottontail.

Here is an internet photo:30724385_1749411478427412_5349669611581210624_n.jpg

i literally don't believe you

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Likely just a transient male DC. Trying his damndest to establish new tara tree.

Def no breeding pop in ND.

Translation? Your eyes and photographic evidence deceive you.....

See a psychiatrist STAT (preferably after gst)

- - - Updated - - -

i literally don't believe you

that literally makes two of us

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

I believe you but I'm curious to know what it tasted like ? :)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 131
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51