remember when...

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up in Botno and remember heading out to see a movie at the SHOW HALL and then remembering when I was 2 blocks from home that the admission price had gone up from $0.12 to $0.14 and I had to go home to get 2 more pennies!!! We were poor but we always had everything that we needed.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I grew up in Botno and remember heading out to see a movie at the SHOW HALL and then remembering when I was 2 blocks from home that the admission price had gone up from $0.12 to $0.14 and I had to go home to get 2 more pennies!!! We were poor but we always had everything that we needed.
I too came from the poor side to the tracks. Milked cows to make ends meet and mom and dad both worked some kind of side job. Family was the big thing back then and if someone was really out the rest shared what they had. One thing I remember is the raising of butcher chickens. Familys took turns raising them, then we would all get together for a weekend and butcher and can or freeze. Still remember those chickens running around with no heads. Family did the same with hogs. The butcher and smoking the hams and bacon was always a family fare run by by my mothers mom. I think Grandma could put a pigs squeal in a jar and her smoking with corn cobs was the best there ever was. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
For us old times it would be fun to able to revisit this topic in 50 years. Growing up in ND in the 50s and 60s and 70s thinking we were poor but our parents had went through a great depression that left lifetime scars. When times got better they pinched every penny they could and tried to teach us how to live within our means and fend for ourselves, We always had a house, A car and plenty to eat and for those that grew up on a farm , There was plenty of chores. I cherish the times sitting at the table when I was a kid and listening to that generation talking about tough times over cups of coffee. When our boys were young teenagers my parents were in their 70s and I made it a point to bring up the "Olden days" quite often in our discussions to keep that traditional memory alive. Those that lived in the inner city couldn't fend for themselves. History repeats itself eventually in one way or another and I wonder what stories will be told in 50 or 75 years.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Playing cowboys and Indians -- every kid in the neighborhood running around with a cap gun or two. Can you imagine how the Facebook crowd would handle a video of a kid running around today with two fingers behind his head (feathers) tapping the palm of his hand to his pursed lips going "woo-woo-woo"...the internet would collapse upon itself.

Usually doing that sideways skip to simulate the gallop of a horse...;)

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Playing cowboys and Indians -- every kid in the neighborhood running around with a cap gun or two. Can you imagine how the Facebook crowd would handle a video of a kid running around today with two fingers behind his head (feathers) tapping the palm of his hand to his pursed lips going "woo-woo-woo"...the internet would collapse upon itself.

Usually doing that sideways skip to simulate the gallop of a horse...;)

And slapping your ass so you ran faster.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
1st job pumping gas "full service" .12cents/gal,check the oil kid,clean the windows....bowery boyz every morning before school.abbott and costello on saturday's

wonder what ever happened to captain kangeroo and mr, green jeans?

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
late night skinny dippin after the bars closed,today they steel your cloths and rob ya....I'm told.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we got our first tv and hauled it home in the pickup box in the winter and had to wait for it to warm up for 4 hours so it didn't blow the tube. And then adjusting the rabbit ears forever to get rid of the snow. My dad telling me to go turn the channel and the National Anthem and Military Salute at midnight in black and white .

- - - Updated - - -

And how pissed I used to get when he was watching Lawrence Welk when Mutual of Omaha wild Kingdom was on the other channel . Then Dean Martin was on when lost in space was on the other channel. And when I ran as fast as I could from the school bus to see if they would call my name on romp a room after I sent a letter. It was a hoax. But Santa read my letter on TV , I was delighted and thought for sure it was real until the train set didn't show up .

- - - Updated - - -

My Dad pulling me on home made sleigh checking muskrat traps early in the morning and then sitting in his lap on the super M feeding cows after the morning trap line run.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we got our first tv and hauled it home in the pickup box in the winter and had to wait for it to warm up for 4 hours so it didn't blow the tube. And then adjusting the rabbit ears forever to get rid of the snow. My dad telling me to go turn the channel and the National Anthem and Military Salute at midnight in black and white .

And calling our friends in the evening to see if they had a snowing picture for reception.

You remember Thorlefsen's (sp) "Candy Kitchen" on 5th street across from Frykman's Ford Motors. Sandy Thorlefsen and John Frykman were in my class.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
And calling our friends in the evening to see if they had a snowing picture for reception.

You remember Thorlefsen's (sp) "Candy Kitchen" on 5th street across from Frykman's Ford Motors. Sandy Thorlefsen and John Frykman were in my class.

I think one of my older sisters worked at the candy kitchen. My Mom worked at Corbys trading post. That was a fun place to explore .

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember when getting beat with a wooden spoon (mom) or a belt (dad) was the norm. I learned respect in a quick hurry growing up.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Early 70's Old Swill 3.99 case , Pfiefer 2.99 a case , Bud , Hamms, Miller High Life 4.99 Saturday night in the summer time Kegs Parties cost a buck a person for the night with a 16 Gal keg . If we ran out we all thru in .50 a piece and got an 8 to finish off the night , all he ladies got in free.

Have always told my kids my wife and I grew up at the perfect time , great music, fun weekends , law enforcement pretty much left you alone as long as it did not get out of hand . But also worked my butt off on the farm . I usually got into town between 9-10 PM

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pfeifer was shitty but it got you drunk! No deposit on the kegs either.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
It probably was shitty but after moving grain in a bin for a couple hours before sundown and being given one at 17 ice cold it did not matter. Forgot about Western now that was shitty bear

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
When this was gay and might get your ass kicked?

1669153063423.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73